Indian hawthorn

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I just can't get enough nursery stock!

Today I found a very interesting Indian hawthorn that was not like the others. They're in the landscape here often but I've never seen one with bark like this. This one is very unique.

I often can't resist flowers, and this is no exception. The pink flowers turn into dark blue berries. I've seen a few indian hawthorn bonsai but none of them were nearly as good as this one.
P1010004.JPG

Close up of the bark
P1010005.JPG

Close up of the flowers.
P1010006.JPG

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I obtained two called indian hawthorns (Rhaphiolepis indica?..the white flowered variety) last fall for a great deal. Good and wavy, still waiting for their leaves..hoping even?

These two are in 3 gal. containers, have have about two thumbs width of trunk base and the bark doesn't look like that at all, but much smoother. Also, opposite branching is very prominent unlike yours is on these. Perhaps the game is afoot..

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ouch..yea, but its not pretty.. I kinda tested their limit of existence this winter having read elsewhere that they can come back from hard chops.
Everyday I gander at them questioning. Will put some images up.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Rhaphiolepis indica is right. They can be difficult but I have seen good ones. Be aware that they are susceptible to everything roses are. I have had a few and always keep my eyes open for ones with low growth and good trunks but they are not the easiest to work with IMHO.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Alriight.. think my wife fell asleep putting my daughter to bed, so...

Like milehigh_7 said, one of these had a leaf spot, Entomosporium fung? But I believe that is manageable...removed fruits and leaves this winter..better should get those old leaves out of the pot (they came in) as well...hmm!? Each cut pretty much had an opposite branch, or dichotomous V. Still hoping some leaves emerge..other trees did today.
IMG_2927.JPGIMG_2931.JPGIMG_2925.JPGIMG_2926.JPG

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
One thing is true, we both have strange surface roots.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gnarly.

Your leaves look super healthy..i’d keep an eye out for that spot. It seems like every time I’ve seen one now it’s got it. May be our sweltering humidity?..you’re certainly better off on that one

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Any of the fungus that family Rosaceae gets these seem to catch. Plus the beasties that roses are susceptible to such as aphids.

But them flowers though... Also, there are several dwarf cultivars with much smaller leaves.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
for some reason I thought these were evergreen, not deciduous? Shouldn't they have leaves this time of year?

I would put them at semi-evergreen. Most Vegas winters they stay evergreen however they do occasionally drop some of the leaves. I have not seen them all drop however but it never gets colder than the high teens.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I defoliated mine. The leaves did not remain remotely green in winter.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That looks exactly like one of my nursery stock trees ?.

Does anybody know when these push new leaves, or the latest? I’ve read they will come back from a chop, but maybe I didn’t protect them enough this winter.

Joseph, how are yours doing, are they pushing any new buds?

They passed the fingernail test, still green, but I’m beginning to worry about em’.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anybody know when these push new leaves, or the latest? I’ve read they will come back from a chop, but maybe I didn’t protect them enough this winter.
I just have regular hawthorn that lives here wild.
They take chops like elms. Meaning I don't seal the cut and they will sprout out of the cut. They also back bud like mad. Like my elms.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Danny, I'm not exactly sure what you have there, but i'm certain it is a different species. I see the resemblance in the bark, but the leaves are way different (e.g. Joseph's images of I. Hawthorn bearing leaves at very top).

Danny Tuckey

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Danny, I'm not exactly sure what you have there, but i'm certain it is a different species. I see the resemblance in the bark, but the leaves are way different (e.g. Joseph's images of I. Hawthorn bearing leaves at very top).

Yes I know haha it is a totally different tree. It's a Cercis Chinensis Avondale. Just showing the bark and the way the trunk/branches are pretty similar.

Top Bottom