Indonesian artist Tedy Boy

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Most know the likes of Bjorn, Bill, Walter, Mauro, Michael Hagedorn, Ryan, etc. No doubt these artists have been incredibly influential to so many of us. I wanted to share another artist that has been a great influence on my work. Few times if ever you see him being mentioned at all but Tedy Boy, as he is known in the bonsai world, is an Indonesian artist with an innate sense of design and vision. I believe he is also largely self taught. It is worth noting that in many cases, he has transformed mediocre material into works of art and not necessarily from world-class trees. I believe Tedy illustrates perfectly that bonsai is an art form and a vehicle for artistic expression. His work to me is refined and effortless and never looks contrived or static.

I am sure some of you already may know of him, but I wanted to expose this artist to a larger audience. I hope you find him as equally inspiring as I do. Below is the link to his site as well as a couple of examples of his work.

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 9.05.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 9.07.05 AM.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pretty cool stuff - Its always nice to see good work made from the sort of material I can find in local nurseries vs. material that was either set up to be world class bonsai, or once was world class bonsai but was let go. I also dig the translation on his videos. He likes those "erotic" trunk lines :D

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool. Does he have an insta page? If he does I can’t find it.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this!
Awesome people, those Indonesians. If you think that's a generalization, befriend one or two of them ;-) You'll get an extra family as a bonus.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure. He does not seem to be on FB either. I have always just seen him either on YT or from other sources on the web.
Got it. His transformations are spectacular. Insta would be a perfect platform for those before/after images of his.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you visit his webpage you will read that :
"I have no Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Friendster, Linkedln, Hi5, Myspace or another social network sites, I focus on Blogspot & YouTube only. If only you want to contact me, please send your meaning to my email or phone is better. "
Apart from his artistry, I wonder why the first/cover page of his blog is almost totally dedicated to praise Islam?
And that half upper part of the webpage is presented in each and every page/link/tab you hit.
It's directly Islamist religious proselytism and makes me turn away.

Anyway, thank you for sharing @MACH5

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
...Anyway, thank you for sharing @MACH5

I never click on ad links. I made a contribution to BNut a couple of years ago, a very small contribution, but it's better to fund, actually to support, to promote any group or companies you have no interest into.

From what I could guess from what I rapidly read, he apparently advertises a way of Islam which is peaceful and will bring happiness, and eternal salute for the believers.
Not much difference from posting, say, photos and a sort of report on an evangelist NGO in a developing country: there are many ways of seducing/luring people into buying the good words, the good way of life, happiness, fullfilments of all sorts.

But they go big as far as bonsai is concerned!

Some people here are religious people, I'm not. Some here pray - I used to. Some of those who pray are in favor of the death penalty, against the rights of women, the rights of LGBTQ (etc. ), think that the earth is the center of a universe that revolves endlessly around it, believe global warming is largely man-made, claim that you mustn(t use a fork and a knife to eat a pizza, etc.: I support one of these hypotheses.

What the fig...

Hare Krishna. Nov schmoz ka-pop. We're on a mission from Men in Black III. What's for lunch?

Felix_the_Cat.jpg

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Apart from his artistry, I wonder why the first/cover page of his blog is almost totally dedicated to praise Islam?
And that half upper part of the webpage is presented in each and every page/link/tab you hit.

I have not read into it and not personally interested. I just wanted to share his art and the only thing I am hoping folks here focus on. Everything else is his own business and irrelevant to the intent of this post.

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Got it. His transformations are spectacular. Insta would be a perfect platform for those before/after images of his.

Indeed they are! Sometimes I have had to do a double take and see that in fact it is the same tree!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Its less intrusive than someone knocking on your door while youre having dinner.

We are being proselytized and propagandized 100% of the time we are engaged with other opinions and perspectives.

I fear none of it because I see it for what it is.

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a good tip @MACH5 , I have never heard of him before, so thanks for sharing!
He seems to be very talented, I will look into his YouTube channel to see some more of his work.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most know the likes of Bjorn, Bill, Walter, Mauro, Michael Hagedorn, Ryan, etc. No doubt these artists have been incredibly influential to so many of us. I wanted to share another artist that has been a great influence on my work. Few times if ever you see him being mentioned at all but Tedy Boy, as he is known in the bonsai world, is an Indonesian artist with an innate sense of design and vision. I believe he is also largely self taught. It is worth noting that in many cases, he has transformed mediocre material into works of art and not necessarily from world-class trees. I believe Tedy illustrates perfectly that bonsai is an art form and a vehicle for artistic expression. His work to me is refined and effortless and never looks contrived or static.

I am sure some of you already may know of him, but I wanted to expose this artist to a larger audience. I hope you find him as equally inspiring as I do. Below is the link to his site as well as a couple of examples of his work.

View attachment 249065

View attachment 249066

Thanks for showing, cool stuff and I wasn’t aware of this artist.

I often find myself thinking in terms of what other practitioners would do with trees. Some material seems to lend itself towards the style of certain people. I may look at one of my spruce and think it should be Waltered and look at another and think I should try to Schlafer it. I can see some similarities to your work and what you’re showing here. Actually I have a small Juniper that I’ve been thinking of Mach5ing but maybe now I’ll attempt to Tedyboy it. Perhaps a combo.

Top Bottom