Indoor Bonsai Displays: Let's see them!!!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For the most part, that's right, it does take a longer time to mature tropicals in northern climes, and many species just don't make the cut even with lots of extra effort, but it gives us something to work on for the more than half of the year that hardy trees are out in crappy weather. And, they are not taken seriously at shows by il cognoscenti, either, even when they're pretty good. But there are different kinds of people who do different kinds of things that make them happy. I practice bonsai year-around. There are people who want to own bonsai and will buy whatever they want, but don't actually work on them very much. Which is happier? Everyone, of course. To each, their own. And I'm sure that Vance would agree with that. I, for instance, have an intensely planted yard with lots of interesting trees and Hosta, et al. I love it. A lot of people would look at my yard and see nothing but a lot of just plain hard work and wonder why anyone would want that responsibility. It goes with the turf. (Now, that's a great pun!) I, and a bunch of others, accept the challenge of working towards the goal of making tropicals presentable, and when my Bougie is in full-tilt-boogie bloom next to his perfect JBP at a show, he gets a run for his money. The judges will always give him Best of Show, but I'll get People's Choice. Which is happier? Everyone, of course!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I forgot to mention that tropicals are much better starters for starters! Beginners need something to play with more often than a Mugo or Scots that you set on the ground in autumn and don't touch again until spring, and then not much with a pre-bonsai size. I think that is a big turn-off for people who have some modest interest in looking into bonsai as a hobby. They want to DO! I lobby, hard, at my club for more tropical workshops for beginners for that reason. Should they also have pine? Sure, it's not an "either or nothing", it's an "all of the above".

MalcolmMc

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I forgot to mention that tropicals are much better starters for starters! Beginners need something to play with more often than a Mugo or Scots that you set on the ground in autumn and don't touch again until spring, and then not much with a pre-bonsai size. I think that is a big turn-off for people who have some modest interest in looking into bonsai as a hobby. They want to DO! I lobby, hard, at my club for more tropical workshops for beginners for that reason. Should they also have pine? Sure, it's not an "either or nothing", it's an "all of the above".

I couldn't agree with this statement more. I got into bonsai in June/ July 2018 and the worst part was wintering my trees behind my house where they are protected but I rarely see them. Since then I picked up some tropical trees and even though they may be harder to keep alive, I love watering them, setting up a couple of lights and continuing to enjoy the hobby while the majority of my sticks are in the ground. Maybe in 25 years I'll decide I don't want to keep any tropicals but for now, I just want to DO the hobby.

tl dr: What Forsoothe! said.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
A 2005 photo of my basement growing area. Not really a display area. Roughly 1000 plants in the image, most of them orchids, maybe 25 or so trees in pre-bonsai phase. The ''orange glow'' is High Pressure Sodium Lamps. Today a few of them have been replaced with 8 tube, 48 inch T5 fixtures. Other than that it still looks the same. Today I'm probably down to 800 or 700 orchids.
Yikes !!!! I was wondering where you kept all those orchids. Lovely orange glow. Looks like a fun hangout.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not looking to rip you a new one, proverbially, but this post goes to show that for the most part, most indoor bonsai are not mature looking bonsai and are not likely to survive more than a few years and develop, much beyond what you see here. For the most part most indoor bonsai look like beginner mallsai at best. Ultimately; to really develop good trees indoors you will need better light and a heated environment like a green house. You can get mad at the truth but there it is and yes I have tried it and found it to be more work than value produced. I still have stuff indoors that have to come in or die in the winter weather that go straight outdoors and soon as the weather allows.

Not looking to reinvent the wheel or anything, just looking for something to enjoy while my larger trees are sleeping for the winter. I also just enjoy having them in the house and my guests love them too. They do make great decorations.

Some of our local club members have some fantastic looking tropicals that are very mature looking. I'll have to take pics and post them next time I see them.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Not looking to reinvent the wheel or anything, just looking for something to enjoy while my larger trees are sleeping for the winter. I also just enjoy having them in the house and my guests love them too. They do make great decorations.

Some of our local club members have some fantastic looking tropicals that are very mature looking. I'll have to take pics and post them next time I see them.
My suggestion to you would be to study with these people,.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is the latest picture of my indoor display...

Indoor Display 2.jpg

I'm using a 2' two bulb T5 fixture on top for the smaller trees and a 4' two bulb fixture on the bottom for the taller trees. They are on a timer and on 16 hours a day. They are also sitting in a South-facing window and get plenty of sunlight.

They are sitting on boot trays, filled with water and river rocks. I need to add some clip on fans for air circulation, which hopefully will help with my aphid issue on the Fukien Tea trees.

I'm going to put another row of trees on the very top of the shelf with another T5 fixture hanging from a stand near the ceiling. I put all of the trees outside starting in April/May and they stay out until October or so.

The trees are comfortable in this setup, but I'm ready for Spring so I can put them back outside.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Me too. Here ya go Al...uncropped for the full redneck effect:
Holy crap!!!! Ume right? Any&every thing you can tell me about that gorgeous specimen would be greatly appreciated!! Awesome job on everything there, just a beautiful picture (I saved the jpg to my Displays album on my laptop ;D )

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Holy crap!!!! Ume right? Any&every thing you can tell me about that gorgeous specimen would be greatly appreciated!! Awesome job on everything there, just a beautiful picture (I saved the jpg to my Displays album on my laptop ;D )
Yes, Ume. It has a 7-year running progression thread here, including a better bloom shot. Posts on my blog here as well.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai needs these critiques video recorded.

I went looking for some and there aren't many, certainly not as many as there were around 5 or 6 years ago.

I already watched these, but will sure watch em again.

Sorce

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bonsai needs these critiques video recorded.

I went looking for some and there aren't many, certainly not as many as there were around 5 or 6 years ago.

I already watched these, but will sure watch em again.

Sorce

Agreed! The critique videos are some of the best learning experiences for bonsai. The only problem I have is the blabber mouths talking in the background on many of them. If I had the opportunity to be with Colin Lewis I would hang on every word and not be gossiping in the background.

Top Bottom