Indoor Bonsai Growing

jsilv

Seed
Reaction score
I'm new to Bonsai growing, but it sounds like a fun and interesting hobby I'd like to get in to.
I want to try growing indoors, but I'm running into a problem. My office (where I would be growing and maintaining the bonsai) doesn't have source of natural light. No windows or skylights or anything. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what type of tree would be able to grow and sustain itself using only a lamp? On that same note, if you could also suggest a good lamp to use for growing, that would be awesome. I appreciate the help and suggestions!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use both led and t5 fluorescent lights. I use led because they are cheap and energy efficient. Mine are about 6000 kelvin. I use t5 fluorescent with a kelvin rating of about 6400. I prefer the fluorescent lights but they need bulbs replaced every year so there is an additional cost. Either way I go, with few exceptions the lights are never more than about 8 inches from the plants and most often closer. I have been growing succulents and cactus, orchids, and many trpicals this way for years. I have several tropical bonsai under these lights but I try to keep most outside in the spring and summer. It is important to realize that there is no such thing as an indoor plant, there are just many tropicals that can be kept this way. I think the most forgiving plant is ficus, and there are many of these to choose from.

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
+1 to what @penumbra said. It's almost shocking how much better my tropicals do when they're finally able to be outside vs when they are inside. They survive indoors with lights, a humidifier, and a fan, but they practically explode in the outside sun. Think of the indoor care as more of a way to keep them alive during the periods where they can't be outside.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For an office without natural light, I suggest a artificial silk bonsai. There are some high quality fakes if you're willing to invest in them.

@penumbra and @Traken gave good advice. Visit a local indoors grow supply shop. They should have sample lighting systems on display. Most trees need at least half of the light marijuana needs, some actually need more. Ficus is a good species to start.

Remember, it might not be possible to modify your work space sufficiently to keep a plant happy and not piss off your boss at the same time. For this reason silk bonsai are good.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine never really did well until I went to a full indoor grow tent, T5 lights and don't forget a fan. Ficus or Schefflera are probably your best bet for low light and toughness.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've gotten great growth indoors under fluorescents, though it is hard to repeat, and never as beautiful of foilage as outdoor.

Welcome to Crazy!

The LED that comes with the Herb growing kit is great for a small tree or 2.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a group of dwarf ficus benj that have only been under t5 fluorescent in a large pebble filled tray that have never seen natural light. This group is in an undersized pot but still growing so rapidly that I have to prune it at least twice a month. I agree wholeheartedly that there is nothing like natural sunlight ( and its free), but some plants just do so well under lights and proper care etc that it is way more than good enough. I have many plants that winter under high intensity led lights like those used to grow cannabis. You have to wear special glasses when working around them for any amount of time. Look at what hydroponic gardeners are able to do today.

Top Bottom