Indoor bonsai; how to water with no mess?

max.r.lawrence

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey all,

So I’ve been tackling this whole bonsai hobby this spring/summer and have been loving it. I’ve learned a lot and have amassed a small collection of trees, mostly tropical.

So winter is coming.

Well not quiet yet but it will. So I’ll move my plants inside and I’m sorting out lighting etc but I’m wondering how people water their trees inside without making a mess or picking the trees up every time. Granted I won’t be wandering as much this winter as I am in the 100 degree Boise weather but I’m curious to hear people’s thoughts.

Here are my trees soaking up some summer rain

Attachments

• 6C01F202-7B34-4959-AA44-88C8698209F9.jpeg
    6C01F202-7B34-4959-AA44-88C8698209F9.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 83

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I usually keep plants on a wire shelf, and a tub underneath. The wife doesn't particularly like that look, so plants that are in windows in her view have their own, individual trays to collect excess water.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Only have 2 tropical's, I pick them up if needed or just make a mess :p

skyrat

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I keep a humidity tray under each pot. I don't use it for the humidity aspect or leave standing water in it, just use them like a saucer to catch the excess water when I water the trees. I water slowly until I see a bit of water collecting in the tray and then stop. I use an empty water bottle to do my watering so I can be pretty precise with where the water goes. If you don't want any of the water that drips into the tray touching your pot you can put pot risers under the pot to keep it more elevated from the tray. They sell small rubber blocks on amazon for that purpose. Or you could make your own out of any random scrap wood or tile, etc.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I water them in an (empty) cat litter box, and let them drip in there, before putting them back on the shelves. It's a PITA though.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Large gravel-filled trays under everything, with multiple pots on each tray where possible. Gravel keeps the pots out of the water, and large trays allow me to water generously without spillage.

max.r.lawrence

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the replies!

Would some folks clarify ‘tray’? What do you use as a tray. Links are always helpful

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
... here it is, 2 trays mentioned.
IMG_20180724_204835.jpg

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Anything that is shallow and will hold water. There are plastic and ceramic trays made specifically for bonsai, and some pots come with matching trays as in the photo. But these are often too small. Normal plastic plant saucers work, but look a little clunky. My favorites are large aluminum baking sheets from the restaurant supply store. They are unobtrusive, inexpensive, and BIG.

skyrat

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here are examples of different types of trays sold specifically for bonsai:

Humidity trays

Most retailers that sell bonsai usually offer them for sale so you can get them lots of places. Or as others suggested, you can make your own using pretty much any waterproof tray you can find that fits in your space.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I keep my tropical plants in a grow tent, lit inside by grow lights. The tent helps to contain the dazzling pink and blue grow lights, which I suspect may be bad for your eyes. The grow tent has a foil sheet on the bottom which is waterproof. The plants themselves are in plastic saucers you can find in Home Depot etc. I bought these nozzles (picture attached) on Amazon which you can attach to small coke or mineral water bottles and use as a watering spout. I found that they are more precise and reduce splashing.
nozzle.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Aluminum cookie trays work in a pinch.

Back when I used to keep some trees indoors, I would carry them to the kitchen sink, give them a good soaking with the sprayer, let them sit and drip for a while, and then take them back to their sunny location :) It was a moderate hassle (for smaller trees) and a PITA for larger ones :)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sink....trough.....trough be good for you....

DSC02448.JPG

I took some heat for suggesting "humidity trays" before.....but, it's a good chance for a bonsai nursery to get some mark-up profit. Trace difference in humidity, but do you want water flowing freely in the house that's not a "design feature"?:eek:o_O;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine go under a grow light in the basement so i just sit them in a cheap seed starting tray.

Reaction score
Trays also here, with an occasional soak and spray with the shower head in the tub. Always been a pain, I try to limit myself to one shelf.
Boise ftw! Have you joined the boise club?

Top Bottom