Indoor Bonsai Location

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,
so bit of a hypothetical now that the days are getting colder. I have a few indoor bonsai and we have recently moved house so i have a handful of bonsai looking for homes, either from outside or just general tropical / sub tropical.
So general lounge layout.
Windows in blue with nice big window ledge. Red is radiator brown is tables. South is to the left of the picture.

So there are a few options for trees
1) all on south window - knowing the may get a bit cool behind the curtains in the evening but get full south sun.
2) West facing window - knowing it will get warmer with radiator but less sun as its west and dryer air from the radiator.
3) Tables - further from the window, less light but more stable temperature

what is everyones thoughts?

room.png

peh3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Having them on a table away from the windows is definitely not going to work. I would personally go with the south facing window to get them the most light.
Your apartment probably won't be cold enough to do them harm if you are heating at all. Also don't forget that the sun will warm them up too.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would avoid putting them over the radiator. They will suffer from the dry, hot environment. Use the other window.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks guys, this is what i thought. i put a thermometer behind the curtains and it only gets down to about 17C so really not too bad. There is actually a radiator on under the other window which i turned off - dont think Mrs Hawke84 has noticed yet :D

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks guys, this is what i thought. i put a thermometer behind the curtains and it only gets down to about 17C so really not too bad. There is actually a radiator on under the other window which i turned off - dont think Mrs Hawke84 has noticed yet :D

Agree, south is your best choice.

Top Bottom