Indoor Dawn Redwood

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just wondering if you can keep a Dawn Redwood indoors like in a window that has a lot of sunlight or a full spectrum grow light.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All trees want to be outside. However you can keep any tree inside if you want to spend enough time and money providing the environment it needs. This is way easier with tropicals than it is with temperate trees. Also, you may find that your house doesn't like it much (humidity leads to mold, rot) and your spouse might not like it either (if that's an issue).

jerzyjerzy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A spouse may be a bigger problem ;)
I used to grow cacti a long time ago, and for that reason I kept windows open all winter long with temperatures much, much below freezing. Because cacti needed that in order to bloom.
When my future wife moved in all plants went to the refrigerator for a season, and then disappeared all together the very next year :)
Because a fridge was needed to keep food all of the sudden.
She was convincing that woman, still is, LOL

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In a nutshell, keep it inside and it is dead. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Maybe he lives in a place without garden or something, but there are much better options for indoors

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks, everyone for your greatly appreciated wisdom. I have some ficus and a coupe of schefflera, inside during the winter. Just would like something different with a pine or juniper look.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks, everyone for your greatly appreciated wisdom. I have some ficus and a coupe of schefflera, inside during the winter. Just would like something different with a pine or juniper look.
Buddhist Pine is a conifer that some people have luck growing inside. Maybe give it a look if you’re set on growing indoors.

Norfolk pine does very well inside but it can’t be Bonsai’d.

Top Bottom