Indoor ficus. Can it be worked now?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would not be working my outdoor trees now while in dormancy. Wondering on this indoor ficus.
I'd like to concave branch cut that knob at the arrow.
The ficus seems to be growing even now. But then again....indoors.

ficus.jpg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on how good your indoor set up is. If the plant is happy and growing it's probably OK to work it. In Wisconsin I was so desperate in the winter I working on anything that hinted that it was happy. Usually got away with it. Better if it's outside and really cooking, though.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All of my ficus are grown in conditions condusive to winter growth. They are all growing now and I prune when I like. However, for large cuts, repotting, etc, you get a much better response in summer.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My sign that you can work on ficus is if the sap is flowing freely. If you nip a twig off near the apex, or just lightly slit the bark, and there's enough sap to seal the cut on its own, you're good for most work.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on how good your indoor set up is. If the plant is happy and growing it's probably OK to work it. In Wisconsin I was so desperate in the winter I working on anything that hinted that it was happy. Usually got away with it. Better if it's outside and really cooking, though.
That desperation is slowly setting in here. I've had to start transitioning things to the garage, etc. You can only draw out so many design ideas, lol. All my tropicals have been indoors for about a month. I keep watching them like a hawk for stress signs. So far so good. I have a Carmona that didn't really appreciate being taken in but it's acclimated. The ficus though, they know what's coming... they know...

Top Bottom