Indoor Greenhouse Experiment

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
If you know me and what I've posted online over the years, you'll know that I like to experiment. I started out on BonsaiSite (where I met jkl), and I frequently posted about my different Ficus setups, so this thread should come as no surprise.

Today I created another PVC greenhouse. I've used these in the past with terrific results. Usually I'll do this for trees that need to recover from something. I created this for my "Royalty Ficus", which I discovered has scale. I treated it with a systemic, and it's into this setup it goes.

I rooted some Ficus natalensis cuttings, numbered them, and stuck them into the setup to follow along with their progress.

Here we go. First I had to construct the frame, out of 1 inch PVC pipe.
20161129_153059.jpg

Then I used heavy drop cloth to wrap the frame.
20161129_160635.jpg

Using plexiglass, I covered the top and added the T5 light. This light will give off heat in the setup, as well as give ample light. The humidity, coupled with the heat, will help the Royal Ficus recover, and it will allow the small cuttings to throw aerials like crazy.

Next up are individual pictures of the cuttings.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
20161129_160412.jpg 20161129_160441.jpg 20161129_160513.jpg 20161129_160532.jpg 20161129_160557.jpg 20161129_160625.jpg

Number 4 has a possible sacrifice branch that I'll end up using.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny you posted this now, as I've been putting together a similar PVC greenhouse to try. I've attempted this before but didn't see much if any improvement in the trees. Gonna try to be more careful this time to seal it up well enough to keep the temps and moisture relatively high inside.

I've got a supposedly decent LED over a couple of ficus trees (one willow leaf and one tiger bark), but both are already starting to look unhealthy...and they've only been inside for a month or so. Going to be a long winter for them if I can't figure this out.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Funny you posted this now, as I've been putting together a similar PVC greenhouse to try. I've attempted this before but didn't see much if any improvement in the trees. Gonna try to be more careful this time to seal it up well enough to keep the temps and moisture relatively high inside.

I've got a supposedly decent LED over a couple of ficus trees (one willow leaf and one tiger bark), but both are already starting to look unhealthy...and they've only been inside for a month or so. Going to be a long winter for them if I can't figure this out.

I'm not too happy with my LEDs. They were both several hundred dollars each, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of results. Granted, it could be because of a lack of heat and humidity, but I'm not sure.

I usually do get good growth this way, just need to watch out for mold and stagnant air.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Which LEDs are you currently using? I got one of the onyx grow lights last year, this is my second season with it.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Which LEDs are you currently using? I got one of the onyx grow lights last year, this is my second season with it.

Yeah that's the one I have. I've got two of them with not much growth.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not too happy with my LEDs. They were both several hundred dollars each, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of results. Granted, it could be because of a lack of heat and humidity, but I'm not sure.

I usually do get good growth this way, just need to watch out for mold and stagnant air.
I have the same LED lights you have. I lowered mine to 12-18 inches above the trees and growth really took off. This is what the manufacturer recommends now, as opposed to the 3-4 feet originally recommended.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hmmm...had mine at about 24", raised it up a bit because the leaves were looking like they were getting too much light at that level.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
but both are already starting to look unhealthy...and they've only been inside for a month or so. Going to be a long winter for them if I can't figure this out.

They sometimes pout several weeks after being indoors, many defoliate, and they all seem to come back nicely. Seems to be random and also seems to happen more when growing in Northern States outdoors all Summer. I also have noticed it helps on a lot of tropicals to let them experience a few very cold nights before bringing them in so they do defoliate - Over the years it "seems" a lot of them need some sort of dormant time to do good.

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
looking like

This, sounds like, feels like, seems like,....

All deserve the very next question to be....

But what is real?

Sorry....pet peeve.....
She always argues using these phrases but nothing that comes after them is ever true.

Which (seems to be) the same in this case.
(but what is true?)

I think it is scientifically impossible to get too much light indoors.

Unless you are in the process of making the indoors outdoors, as in, with an explosion!

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Over the years it "seems" a lot of them need some sort of dormant time to do good.
I don't start heating my greenhouse until the nights get into the high 30s, they pout for a week and then perk up and take off like nothing happened. Tropals are WAY more tough then they are given credit for!

Aaron

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't start heating my greenhouse until the nights get into the high 30s, they pout for a week and then perk up and take off like nothing happened. Tropals are WAY more tough then they are given credit for!

Aaron
What's the low temperature you're comfortable with for your tropicals, ...and what kind of tropicals do you have?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan,

we have this Indian [ Trinidadian ] girl who wants to have your babies [ ficus that is ]
so stop messing around up north and move to the Caribbean.
Where you can grow all of those tropical trees ------------- outdoors for free ------ sunlight.

Seriously [ or was I being serious above ? ] good luck.

By the way you are allowed 6 months free entry, visa yes and can purchase up to 1 acre of land.
Good Day
Anthony

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What's the low temperature you're comfortable with for your tropicals, ...and what kind of tropicals do you have?
I'm comfortable with it getting around 38° outside as it'll stay about 40° in the greenhouse with no heat. I have a Ron of species. About 6 species of ficus, bougainvillea, shefflerras, BRT's, olives, dwarf mulberrys, peppers, pomegranates, tons of succulents, yaupon hollys, hibiscus, I even keep my orchids in there, oh and my laurel oak.

Aaron

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Can you describe how they "look unhealthy"?

I brought my BRT and ficus in about a month and a half to two months ago.

They did get some yellow leaves and pouted a bit at first but now aready growing again.

I have mine under flourescent daylight shop lights

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a few photos.

Description - leaves start out healthy dark green, then start to develop a blotchy/pale/yellow appearance. Gradually the amount of yellow increases, and the leaf eventually drops. This takes a couple of weeks or more, it is not a quick process. That is one of the strange things...I'm familiar with the ficus leaf-drop-in-response-to-stress syndrome, which seems to happen much more quickly. Some of the leaves on the tiger bark also develop a dark brown discoloration during the process (see third photo).

Pattern looks a lot like some nutrient issues but it occurs over the entire plant. Usually problems due to specific nutrient imbalances tend to focus on either young or old leaves, not all at once.

Trees were subjected to gradually decreasing light levels during the fall (moved from full sun to shade, then indoors under lights). They did experience some pretty cool nights into the upper 30s or low 40s. Maybe a delayed result. Maybe I should just defoliate them all at once. This has been a yearly thing, annoying because the main reason I got some tropicals was to have some plants to fuss with during the winter. But since they pretty much stop growing anyway, even with the HID/LED lighting...not really serving the purpose!

Before anyone suggests it...there are no mites or scale.

1) Willow leaf ficus leaves on plant...can see the blotchy yellowness developing.

fic_prob1.jpg

2) Willow leaf ficus, more advanced leaf yellowing. I plucked this one for the photo, this is the underside of the leaf. Pattern is chlorotic with green veins.

fic_prob2.jpg

3) Tiger bark leaf, showing yellowing and browning. Not all the leaves get the browning.

fic_prob3.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
For what it might be worth it...
Here in Athens, Greece I am facing the same problem with a shohin Ficus salicifolia (willowleaf) ever since I own the tree (2012). Overwintering inside a self-made set up under T5 light, not heated. In my place winter temperature almost never drops at 1-2 C. degrees and into the room where this set up is placed temp. is around 18 C., rare use of A/C and only for very short periods of time.
Every year the tree reacts like your above description, sheds each and every leaf, then it starts some new foliage but very sparse.
I was discussing this problem at IBC and this time I will take the tree out of the "terrarium" (kind of...) and keep it near a large window where it will have some sun for a while. No artificial light, no heating. See how it responds....

Omar

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice setup Ryan.

Here are a few photos.

Description - leaves start out healthy dark green, then start to develop a blotchy/pale/yellow appearance. Gradually the amount of yellow increases, and the leaf eventually drops. This takes a couple of weeks or more, it is not a quick process. That is one of the strange things...I'm familiar with the ficus leaf-drop-in-response-to-stress syndrome, which seems to happen much more quickly. Some of the leaves on the tiger bark also develop a dark brown discoloration during the process (see third photo).

Pattern looks a lot like some nutrient issues but it occurs over the entire plant. Usually problems due to specific nutrient imbalances tend to focus on either young or old leaves, not all at once.

Trees were subjected to gradually decreasing light levels during the fall (moved from full sun to shade, then indoors under lights). They did experience some pretty cool nights into the upper 30s or low 40s. Maybe a delayed result. Maybe I should just defoliate them all at once. This has been a yearly thing, annoying because the main reason I got some tropicals was to have some plants to fuss with during the winter. But since they pretty much stop growing anyway, even with the HID/LED lighting...not really serving the purpose!

Before anyone suggests it...there are no mites or scale.

1) Willow leaf ficus leaves on plant...can see the blotchy yellowness developing.

View attachment 124775

2) Willow leaf ficus, more advanced leaf yellowing. I plucked this one for the photo, this is the underside of the leaf. Pattern is chlorotic with green veins.

View attachment 124776

3) Tiger bark leaf, showing yellowing and browning. Not all the leaves get the browning.

View attachment 124777

I have that very issue with my willow leaf ficus. I have that same 2ft Agrobrite light system ~6 -8in above the trees in my greenhouse. Under the lights, every single leaf now looks unhealthy with yellow tips (2 or 3 were even frosty white) and has looked like that for the better part of 2 months. Temp ranges between 74 - 86, humidity between 50 - 80%. It's by far the most temperamental little bastard I've ever had.
How are you tackling your issue if I may ask?

Top Bottom