Indoor/Grow Tent Heating Options

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey all. I'm looking to make more improvements to my overwintering set up for my Ficus trees and I've started by getting a 2ft x 4ft (x 5ft high) grow tent and a new LED light board. I'm certain this is going to help a lot.

However, due to its' size I may be limited to using it down in my unheated basement. So heating and temperature control will be an issue in the coldest months of winter. I know the LED board will warm the space up some and I plan on starting to test that tomorrow. But I doubt that it's going to bring enough heat.

In my site searches I saw some talk about what JudyB is using in her "cold green house" - a main infrared and some heat mats. A heat mat about the same size and foot print sounds like a good idea, the heat source is ambient and spread out and also close to/under the plants to keep the heat local. But they may not generate a lot of heat?

So I need some good options for heating inside the grow tent. With priorities on safety, efficiency, size and cost :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found these folks researching propane tank heaters.

I can't find anything specific for this application, but there is a 2x3 snow melting blanket for like $130 but it's too hot it seems.

I guess with a phone call, you might be able to customize something meeting your priorities.

Sorce

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What size tent?
What size led board?
I have to keep my room at about 65-70f and an intake fan just to keep it about 80f in the tent.
If room is over 70f my tent will go into the 90’s.......
You want 75-80 if no co2.
I have just 320 watt boards in mine.
Is your light passive cooled or an internal fan.If has internal fan will likely heat tent more than you think.

The beauty of small tents( the only tent as far as I am concerned) is ease to dial everything in an actually save co2!!! ( as long as venting IN and not OUT)!! This is secret to mimicking a sealed growroom that conserves co2.
I have 2.5x2’ & 3x3 tents.I prefer multiple little tents.
23$ tank of co2 can last 6 weeks at 1000 ppm!!!!
B46E98AC-75F3-4FEE-9230-82EEA4CBC952.jpeg2F8EA29C-9F08-427F-A08C-B719E7315B2F.jpeg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
a 2ft x 4ft (x 5ft high) grow tent
Oh I see.That will heat up no prob.may find yourself venting air in or out.Comes in handy to controle humidity too.If no co2,its quite simple.Just get a cheap humidity/temperatue controller that will turn on a fan to duct out.Humidity will rise constantly with large plants in there.Fan will probably turn on every 15 minutes.40-60% humidity is what you want.I prefer 55-60 rh in veg.
Be suprised how much co2 builds into a house......quite often approaching 1000ppm!!!
With a couple people in it.
Enough co2 to increase photosynthesis 50%

Just open your basement door!!
Co2 sinks very quickly

Top Bottom