Indoor Humidity - Trunk Moisture

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hey BNuts!
Hope you can help. I have a couple indoor trees in the basement tent and recently turned on humidifier to get levels more tropical.
Humidity Above 50% and temp range about 70-80 during the day. Right now set to run 14hrs. Auto timer off at night.

I noticed over a couple days the base of the trunks seem saturated.
Not sure what the tree is telling me besides it might be too wet or it doesn't need that much humidity?
It seems to move from the roots upward.
Don't know if bad or good...any thoughts on what is actually happening?

20221020_172930.jpg
20221020_172953.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are they getting wet when you water the trees?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Honestly, I keep Brazilian rain trees and ficus up here in NY.

It never gets as humid here as it does in the tropics during the summer, not even close. I over winter them on tables in my basement. They sit in trays to catch excess water when watering.

I don't use a humidifier, or a tent and they do just fine even growing for me most of the winter except for about 2 months in January and February when they slow down.

I sometimes wonder if all the effort and expense people put into keeping them with humidity tents, etc is really necessary. My experience says it's not.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't see much use for a humidifier in a tent. If my tent is closed the humidity reaches 90% with just regular watering. I leave the tent unzipped and it still never drops below 50%.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

It never gets as humid here as it does in the tropics during the summer, not even close. I over winter them on tables in my basement. They sit in trays to catch excess water when watering.

I don't use a humidifier, or a tent and they do just fine even growing for me most of the winter except for about 2 months in January and February when they slow down.

I sometimes wonder if all the effort and expense people put into keeping them with humidity tents, etc is really necessary. My experience says it's not.
I’ve wondered this as well.
I did this to shefflera to promote aerial roots, but discontinued after things were looking funky. If you are upping humidity on a constant, I would think you are also increasing the occurrence of pests and fungus.
I don’t like treating my trees all winter with fungicides and etc.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve wondered this as well.
I did this to shefflera to promote aerial roots, but discontinued after things were looking funky. If you are upping humidity on a constant, I would think you are also increasing the occurrence of pests and fungus.
I don’t like treating my trees all winter with fungicides and etc.

yea I have seen a lot of people using humidity tents that seem to have a lot of issues with their plants related to high humidity

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yea I have seen a lot of people using humidity tents that seem to have a lot of issues with their plants related to high humidity
If set up properly it is very easy to control humidity. Having the door half unzipped works well for me but if I want to clear it fast it has an exhaust fan.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

What would you say the humidity is in the basement in Jan & Feb? Does your furnace have a humidifier on it?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What would you say the humidity is in the basement in Jan & Feb? Does your furnace have a humidifier on it?
It's pretty dry down there. It is a finished basement with heat and I have a home office down there so I spend a lot of time down there.

My furnace is an oil burner does not have a humidifier.

The trees are under 4 foot shop lights which adds warmth

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's pretty dry down there. It is a finished basement with heat and I have a home office down there so I spend a lot of time down there.

My furnace is an oil burner does not have a humidifier.

The trees are under 4 foot shop lights which adds warmth
Interesting. The humidity in the dead of winter around here is about 20% unless it's snowing of course. I have a humidifier on my furnace that I keep at 30% & a small room humidifier in the Tropical room & try and keep it around 50%. May have to rethink that. Thanks.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I appreciate all the replies and tips on your setups. I have since turned off the humidifier. Thought it would be helpful but guess it's not really needed.

Devo313

Seedling
Reaction score
Humidifier is a must for a tropical tent in the winter. The key is having a fan to circulate air, 24 hrs a day.

I have a humidistat to keep my humidity at 60 % and have never had a single mold or moisture issue. Your tent might not be warm enough to evaporate the moisture.

I have a Spiderfarmer SF4000 in a 3x3 that is kept at 25 degrees and 60% all day (15 hrs) , and 20 degrees and 55% all night (9hrs) and get growth better than in the summer on my tropicals. Key is a quality light ($400+) and quality equipment from the get go.

Top Bottom