Indoor jade bonsai - Fertilizer question

Reaction score
First post here... after almost a year of wondering why my jade tree (kept indoors) lost a bunch of foliage about a month after purchasing and why I haven't been able to get it full again. I recently purchased a bottle of Dyna-Gro Bonsai-Pro 7-9-5 liquid plant food, hoping that this will do the trick. To promote growth, the bottle calls for 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. I'd like to use the submersion method, but have read that it isn't good to use a fertilizer mixture if the soil is somewhat dry. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_8558.JPG
    IMG_8558.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 48

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
How often are you watering? Probably too much. I only water when the edges of my Jade start to shrivel. I wouldn't worry about fertilizing just yet.

Reaction score
Now that it's spring, I was planning on watering and fertilizing every 2 weeks. I do lightly mist the leaves once or twice a day with a small water sprayer.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
But how often are you watering it currently? You're over-misting it for sure. It's not a tropical, in the sense that it doesn't like all the moisture that a Ficus does.

Reaction score
Ok, cool. I'll stop doing that then for sure. I've never watered it more than every few weeks. Maybe every 3-4 weeks during the winter. All that said, the foliage has never been as full as it was when I first purchased it. (see image from original post)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The moss on the soil is not good. That will keep the soil too wet. It also doesn't need the humidity tray. Let this tree get dry. Otherwise it's just going to rot.

eugene brown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive read that jades love fertilizer. I fertilize heavily because of this and experience great growth. Your mileage may vary though.

Top Bottom