Indoor Lighting for Built-In

revjpb

Seedling
Reaction score
Anyone ever made an indoor lighting setup for use in a built-in bookcase? I’m thinking of using under cabinet lighting fixtures? While indoors during the winter, I’m hoping to have my tropicals in my living room built-in bookcase (rather than in a secluded side room). Thanks for any suggestions!

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone ever made an indoor lighting setup for use in a built-in bookcase? I’m thinking of using under cabinet lighting fixtures? While indoors during the winter, I’m hoping to have my tropicals in my living room built-in bookcase (rather than in a secluded side room). Thanks for any suggestions!

Not with a bookcase but I've had success, so far, with lights in a North facing window in a basement (gets about an hour of late afternoon light from outside so it's basically all the lights).

Most of the grow lights have mounts on them to do something exactly like you are describing. I've jury rigged mine to hang in the window (pictured below) but the mounts were meant to be secured to setting solid.

Attachments

• 20200109_145214.jpg
    20200109_145214.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200109_145219.jpg
    20200109_145219.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 14

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd be slightly worried about the irreversible damage that may occur. Slow to set in, but mighty permanent in a built in. $$$.

That said I'd want to hide the wires and would totally drill through the wall if possible.

Sorce

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would draw up some plans or something and post them for your built in. Its difficult to give advice without images in this situation.

I would consider:

Types of plants / horticultural needs
Size of standard bulbs and fixtures
Wiring and long term penetrations of surfaces
Aesthetic concerns when plants are not being stored.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bookshelf......how’s the air circulation? I’d pay attention to how to achieve more surround lighting. I think the built-in bookshelf is an idea but not likely the best for the tree health.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I say blu spectrum t5. 6400k I believe.Blue deters stretching and aids in photosynthesis.Keeps em’ short and stocky ,healthy.
Look at spectrum and make sure has a tiny bit of red to help roots.
Side lights keep bottom leaves out of shade and keeps them photosythesizing....otherwise shade makes green light and deters photosynthesis........or do tropicals dig that sort of thing?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd be slightly worried about the irreversible damage that may occur. Slow to set in, but mighty permanent in a built in. $$$.

That said I'd want to hide the wires and would totally drill through the wall if possible.

Sorce

Wood + humidity + heat = badness

Your biggest problem will be protecting your shelves. If you were keeping a low light houseplant in a pot on a coaster, I'd say you might try it if you were careful, but with the water and light intensity most bonsai need, I'm not sure I would try it. Many people who overwinter bonsai indoors do so in semi-enclosed environments like aquariums or window greenhouses.

revjpb

Seedling
Reaction score
Bookshelf......how’s the air circulation? I’d pay attention to how to achieve more surround lighting. I think the built-in bookshelf is an idea but not likely the best for the tree health.
Good point - hadn’t thought about the need for good air circulation.

Top Bottom