Indoor Setup for Tropicals?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As someone else mentioned, for an indoor set-up to be successful you first have to determine what type of non-cold hardy plants that you want to keep. Secondly, try to figure out what you would like to actually do during the winter months. Either sustain life/growth or actively grow them during the winter.

Some do just fine in the "full-shade." Others need a humid and warm environment. Some just need a bright warm place without too much water. You can keep all of them, but to be truely successful you will have to tailor their "homes" to their enviroment.

Once you figure what you want to grow, then you can begin planning a decent indoor set-up for said plants.

I did almost the opposite. I got trees that I wanted and waited to see which ones thrived with the conditions I was willing to create for them. Survival of the fittest!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In the movies, they seem to do okay placed on a desk or filing cabinet with no special lighting. :eek:🤣
oops, I have special lighting at my desk. I'm such a cheater. My plants have been suffering lately because I can't be bothered to drag myself into work on Friday and Monday.
1697727463010.png

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I prefer Jerry Meislik's open environment for tropical. You have less issues with pests and fungal.

I run a humidifier but don't stress high humidity. Jerry mentioned it's not needed unless you want aerial roots. I'll buy a tree with them established and check off the desire for Fungal issues. *I've never had fungal issues.

Timer on for 16 hours a day for lights. I've a proper grow cart...and a bench repurposed as one with a hydrofarm grow light and corn bulb.
FB_IMG_1697753648160.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No need to rotate trees to the tent, it keeps my ficus from dropping leaves during the dry indoor winter air.

Oh, for sure. My statement was a little vague! I just meant I would rotate them so that I would get to see them all. Even in my imaginary world where I get to put something like that in the living room, my wife still would not allow enough cabinets to hold all my ficus! 😄

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh, for sure. My statement was a little vague! I just meant I would rotate them so that I would get to see them all. Even in my imaginary world where I get to put something like that in the living room, my wife still would not allow enough cabinets to hold all my ficus! 😄
I'm just sad my bougainvillea won't fit in there because it's starting to flower now

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Ive had this setup for a few years and its been great, other than its prone to exacerbate pest issues. The ficus love it, the Chinese elm are a little more cantankerous. Its a 8X4X6 grow tent with two Spiderfarmer 2000 grow lights and I run a fan constantly. The lights are on a 16 on/8 off timer. Its usually about 75-80f and 65-85% humidity.
Nice! Do you run a humidifier as well to get it to 65-85%?

Alaskanrocket

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! Do you run a humidifier as well to get it to 65-85%?
Humidifier is not needed in my particular setup, I believe this is primarily due to my catchment pans holding water from waterings as well as it being a fairly well sealed up tent. So there is almost always standing water in the tent.

ForrestW

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am very far from an expert but I have kept tropicals for 23 years now doing the indoor winter and outdoor summer shuffle. I have just used any grow light available with about 16 hours of on than accept they do not look great in parts of the winter. I really want to see if I can reduce the leaf drop in the winter-- and the schefflera, and ficus nerifolia seem to do ok, but the Bougie loves to drop a lot of leaves every year. Thankfully they have always bounced back :). I also keep them out in the fall until the night temps are in the low 40's-- it buys me an extra 3-4 weeks outside. I also blast them with the hose several times and spray them with neem/soap mixture shortly before bringing them in. (except the mini-jade/ porticulacara-- no neam for it)

Attachments

• PXL_20231030_213913443 (1).jpg
    PXL_20231030_213913443 (1).jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom