INDOOR zelkova???

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I saw a cool tree that was being sold as an INDOOR bonsai.
Named Zelkova ...something.... and Googling doesn't show me any varieties of zelkova that have a name that rings a bell

I'm leery of indoor bonsai anyhow, but wondered if there was an indoor variety of zelkova.

????

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw a cool tree that was being sold as an INDOOR bonsai.
Named Zelkova ...something.... and Googling doesn't show me any varieties of zelkova that have a name that rings a bell

I'm leery of indoor bonsai anyhow, but wondered if there was an indoor variety of zelkova.

????
There are no "indoor" varieties of any plant. There are varieties that can tolerate indoor treatment. Most likely, this "indoor zelkova" is a Chinese Elm--Zelkova or grey bark elm are name dodges used by importers to avoid the scrutiny that Chinese Elm gets when imported.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Zelkova serrata is sometimes referred to as a "Japanese elm", but though closely related to true elms (and visually similar), it is a different genus with some different characteristics - one of which is immunity to Dutch elm disease. Because of this, it is actually becoming pretty common in landscape plantings throughout the U.S. (particularly in Central California). It is an extremely hardy tree species, USDA zones 5-9, grows well in a variety of soil conditions, and can handle full sun to partial shade.

But as @rockm points out, it is not an indoor tree.

zelkova-serrata-tree-winter.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here are the cultivars I could find:

'Goshiki' - This variegated form features leaves splashed or dusted with creamy white. The plant is sometimes offered by specialty nurseries and grows fairly well. 'Variegata' features a white rim around the leaves, but it's a weak grower.

'Green Vase'- This popular form is a fast grower to 70' tall with a width of 35' to 40'. It maintains a vase-shape with upright arching branches. It is taller and less broad than 'Village Green' at maturity, plus it grows more quickly. The fall color is bronze-red. It is widely considered the best selection.

'Halka' - This is one of the more popular forms, but it lacks the merit of 'Village Green' or 'Green Vase'. It reaches 50' tall with a spread of 30', but the habit is more open and loose. It lacks the dense uniformity of the other two cultivars, plus the yellow fall color does not rival their display.

'Spring Grove' - A potential rival for 'Village Green', this selection is yet to see mass production. It exhibits a distinct vase shape with tight branching. It is also ornamentally superior for its dark green leaves, red fall color and attractive peeling bark. The plant has the potential to grow 80' tall with a spread of 60'.

'Village Green' -A common plant in commerce, this form develops a straight, clean trunk and reaches 50' to 60' tall. The canopy is quite wide and dense with dark green leaves, while the fall color is rusty red. It expresses good disease and insect resistance with excellent cold hardiness. It grows quickly and vigorously as a young plant.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zelkova serrata is sometimes referred to as a "Japanese elm", but though closely related to true elms (and visually similar), it is a different genus with some different characteristics - one of which is immunity to Dutch elm disease. Because of this, it is actually becoming pretty common in landscape plantings throughout the U.S. (particularly in Central California). It is an extremely hardy tree species, USDA zones 5-9, grows well in a variety of soil conditions, and can handle full sun to partial shade.

But as @rockm points out, it is not an indoor tree.

View attachment 235238
Yeah, still most likely a Chinese elm that's for sale here... Using "zelkova" as a cover for Chinese elm imports is a well documented, long-standing ploy importers and shippers use to get around import restrictions and requirements on Chinese elm... Chinese elm bonsai are given particular scrutiny at import because they have a proven track record of bringing in pests and diseases. Using a different name makes things easier. If this is being sold as "indoor" and an elm, it is most likely a Chinese elm and NOT a Zelkova

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It kills me the amount of so called indoor trees I see marketed on the net.
Grrrrrrrrrrrr
It was actually a large nursery. They don't do bonsai though.
I'll have to go look at the name again as all I remember is Zelkova ...............something.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Zelkova serrata is the one I know but the font of all knowledge - Wikipedia, also lists 5 other species including Anthony's Z. sinica

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe I already mentioned this in the archives -

in the 80's and 90's in London, the idea was to call
Southern Chinese Elms - Zelkova sinica
I think it was to by-pass agricultural quarantine rules.

Loke calling pines, junipers to get past our quarantine
rules.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom