Inexpensive Turface MVP

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Soil sifting time is here again, in anticipation of next spring and the few quinces I'll repot this fall. In checking around today for soil components, I came across Turface MVP at Ewing Irrigation for $9 for a 50 lb. bag. I'm not guaranteeing your local store will have it at this price, but that's definitely the cheapest I've ever seen it. Ewing is a fairly national chain, with a decent number of stores in the southeast, especially in areas with a lot of golf courses (assumably their main source of business), and I'm lucky enough to have one a few miles down the road. Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone else needed any. Now if I could just find some pumice.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
cool. There's one in Orlando. I'll check them out. Thanks.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have been buying mine at Ewing as well but not at that price...it is around $14.00/50 lb bag here. That is great price!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have only bought it from Bonsai nurseries in Florida, and I get really screwed too. I paid $15.00 for a ziplock bag that maybe held 3-4 pounds.

I have read where it needs to be sifted and would assume its when you buy it like this ? What would you use for sifting it, and I guess the reason for sifting is to remove fine dust that would collect and clog the soil slowing draining ? The stuff in the baggies has no dust in it, but the price that I thought was not so bad is actually piracy.

ed

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have only bought it from Bonsai nurseries in Florida, and I get really screwed too. I paid $15.00 for a ziplock bag that maybe held 3-4 pounds.

I have read where it needs to be sifted and would assume its when you buy it like this ? What would you use for sifting it, and I guess the reason for sifting is to remove fine dust that would collect and clog the soil slowing draining ? The stuff in the baggies has no dust in it, but the price that I thought was not so bad is actually piracy.
Ed,

I do not sift mine though I have 3 stage sifter for bonsai soil. I need the fines due to TX heat.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ed,

I do not sift mine though I have 3 stage sifter for bonsai soil. I need the fines due to TX heat.

Do you mean to retain the water ? I am usually in the warmth so I use some potting soil in with mine to retain the water a bit longer. If the fines will do it without clogging the soil then that would be even better.

ed

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have to sift mine as well. I use the fines on my lawn.... Ed, you can get turface in Hilliard for cheap, last time I got it, at $10. for 50lb bags. (a few years ago)

brv549 is that you Brian Van Fleet???

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
None within 100 miles of me :(

Ryan, check out Southern States. It's a cooperative, so not all the stores have the same stock. I've found a few places in MD that are about a half hour drive. The one in Charlottesville is really great - it had turface, dry stall (pumice) and chicken grit. I stopped there while on a long weekend at a b&b in c'ville - my wife wasn't too amused when she saw that I had packed up the car with about 700 pounds (literally) of soil components, but what can I say :rolleyes:

Top Bottom