Info on phillipinensis and illicina ficus

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
Looking to get some information on phillipinensis and illicina ficus as bonsi. I know some people use phillipinensis for bonsai But it seems less common then say a tiger bark, green gem or narrow leaf and very minimum information online about them. The illicina ficus seems even more rarely used and can't really find any info on it. Wondering if anyone on here has any experience with either or knows anything about them and what's the difference between them and they're much more famous family members? Thanks in advance trying to prevent myself from wasting money

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
Heres a pic of the illicina I'm thinking about getting to hopefully gain some interest. Not really a fan of the rock but seems in a few years it'll be mostly covered up anywaysreceived_827716207438816.jpeg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take an image of the root system.
Work out a design.
The leaves and branches will most probably be
a green dressing.
See Youtube, Chinese work on Ficus.

Thus far the simple Ficus b. and Willow ficus are
your best bet as bonsai goes.
Good Luck
Anthony

Bonsaihead

Mame
Reaction score
Take an image of the root system.
Work out a design.The leaves and branches will most probably be
a green dressing.
See Youtube, Chinese work on Ficus.

Thus far the simple Ficus b. and Willow ficus are
your best bet as bonsai goes.
Good Luck
Anthony
thanks for the reply. I was kind of hoping someone could tell me what the short comings actually were of these two species compared other ficus so I could decide if they were characteristics I would be willing to live with or not. Still rather new and most of my collection is rather young and small. I have some years of growing out before I can start developing and styling and want to start upgrading what I already have as I'm already pretty much out of room to increase the number of trees. So I'm looking to add stuff with some size that's ready to start working but want to avoid adding anything that's not quality bonsai material to work with and learn from. I've spent hours and hours and hours on here, online, YouTube and I've read a few good books so far just dying to have some stuff that I can do more hands on learning on good material. Thanks for the tips

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hackberry, Seagrape, Buttonwood and other natives.
Try seeds and seedlings.
Read up on ground growing for fast big trunks.
Good Day
Anthony

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ficus b and the willow ficus are great !!
@Shima , also has stunning Ficus [ pumila I believe ?]
I asking him to pass.
Good Day
Anthony

* If you can do the root design, they are also stunning.

Top Bottom