informal privet work in progress

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Another collected privet I've been working...well it's been working me!

2011-08-30_07-51-09_129.jpg

Advice on anything welcome!
Thanks

Will B.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
In my opinion, and this is just my OPINION, but I think it is too tall and has no taper. Just IMO.

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Ryan I agree one hundred percent. Im gonna have to shorten it drastically but I wanted to post it anyway. It has a very nice nebari so I wont get rid of it it'll get chopped in spring!

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would make an exciting tree if you cut off the main trunk and used the small side branch as a trunk.

Attachments

• privet.jpg
    privet.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Lol! Whoa guys! I think ill do a trunk chop first and see what I can do before I go too drastic! I don't want some tiny tree that id have to regrow the nebari on too! But it is always an option later. Thanks for the input everyone!

Will B.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Air layers may be your best option, since it looks like you have done so much work on the top of the tree. Then, instead of wasting, you end up with MORE trees! The top would be a nice formal upright, and the bottom can be a mame or shohin. The other nice thing about air layering is that you end up with PERFECT nebari (if thats your 'thing'). Have fun!

Attachments

• privvy privets.jpg
    privvy privets.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
With my friend Brian, hope springs eternal. :) (Love yah brother... just having fun with you.)

A mother/daughter on this would be sweet if you took the time to regrow the top to have some taper, the lack of it is limiting. Even as a formal upright airlayer, you'd still have the same problem on a shorter tree. Your current image has the beginings of a lovely form, but without fixing the taper issue you may be throwing good effort into something which can't become what you hope.

I'd rather see your eye and sense of design applied to something which could both challenge you and provide you the rewards for your effort that you deserve.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
A mother/daughter is what I had in mind at the start but at that time I didn't know too much of taper and such. But in spring I will chop it and regrow the top. It should put out alot of growth next year and maybe in a few years ill have something decent...
thanks again for everyones input!

Will B.

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
so...the deed is done...hope all of you are happy! jk. i know this was for the better and the only way this tree will be convincing now i get to wait and see if this will pay off.

2011-09-12_08-03-36_627.jpg

thanks,

Will B.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
holding thumbs bro-that's exactly the sort of radical cut i would make:)

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
it's like the edward scissor hands demon gets a hold of you + you are helpless......

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Well at least I get access to hundreds of these free weeds...my dads property is engulfed by them! Excellent learning material.

Top Bottom