Informal spruce (?)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Every now and then when surfing Japanese e-commerce sites I bump into really nice bonsai that I think are strong examples of design. Plus, e-commerce sites typically don't mind if you use pictures of their trees as long as you generate traffic to their site :) Here is a tree selling for $1500 at ichiyo-kai.com that I particularly like. I think it is a good example of the use of MINIMAL elements to convey a strong sense of scale and age.

informalupright1.jpg

Too often I see bonsai in the U.S. that are too heavy - they have too many branches, too much foilage, etc, and the mass of the tree takes AWAY from the design so that the tree ends up making a much softer, quieter statement than it might otherwise (or no statement at all). Japanese design focuses on REMOVING elements until you reach the core design - versus Western design tends to focus on ADDING elements until you reach... something :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Every now and then when surfing Japanese e-commerce sites I bump into really nice bonsai that I think are strong examples of design. Plus, e-commerce sites typically don't mind if you use pictures of their trees as long as you generate traffic to their site :) Here is a tree selling for $1500 at ichiyo-kai.com that I particularly like. I think it is a good example of the use of MINIMAL elements to convey a strong sense of scale and age.

informalupright1.jpg

Too often I see bonsai in the U.S. that are too heavy - they have too many branches, too much foliage, etc, and the mass of the tree takes AWAY from the design so that the tree ends up making a much softer, quieter statement than it might otherwise (or no statement at all). Japanese design focuses on REMOVING elements until you reach the core design - versus Western design tends to focus on ADDING elements until you reach... something :)

Sorry it took so long to notice this post. I agree with you, too often Western Bonsai are examples of too many branches and too much growth spreading too wide in too many directions trying to satisfy too many form requirements in one tree. This is a very nice tree, obviously Ezzo Spruce (actually Shakilin Spruce probably), and impossible to get in this country.

aredsfan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats a great looking tree. Evergreengardenworks.com appears to have one gallon trees available in September. andy

Top Bottom