Information about Ryan Neil

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Oregon's the best!!! Go Blazers!!!

I found out yesterday that I can at least spend the next four year in Oregon by landing a spot in a teaching program at OHSU instead of having to move to Stanford or UCLA :) My trees would just dry out and die in California....

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
If someone like Yenling wanted to apprentice with the best teacher on the west coast and do it much closer to his house he could study with Kenji Miyata, living only 120 miles from his house.

He has many awards also:D

Does Kenji still take on students? I would love to learn from him-how do I contact him? I really don't know what all my options are for studying Bonsai. Do you have anymore suggestions for me Smoke? I'm very open and someday want to become one of the best.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Most will find this to be silly, but I prefer to learn from people who are time honored as John Naka would say. I'm sure the young guys coming from Japan can wire like nobodies business, but they have not grown trees for long. I like my teachers and mentors to be long in the tooth so to speak. I'm not a big fan of these traveling stylists. I like guys/gals who take a maple seedling, fan out the roots, put them over a tile or plate, and plant them in the garden. People who have finished trees, semi finished trees, raw material, seedlings, and seeds in the refrigerator. I guess maybe I like growers. Bonsai to me seems more wholesome and meaningful this way. This is just my outlook on the subject, and not meant to be imposing in any way.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most will find this to be silly, but I prefer to learn from people who are time honored as John Naka would say. I'm sure the young guys coming from Japan can wire like nobodies business, but they have not grown trees for long. I like my teachers and mentors to be long in the tooth so to speak. I'm not a big fan of these traveling stylists. I like guys/gals who take a maple seedling, fan out the roots, put them over a tile or plate, and plant them in the garden. People who have finished trees, semi finished trees, raw material, seedlings, and seeds in the refrigerator. I guess maybe I like growers. Bonsai to me seems more wholesome and meaningful this way. This is just my outlook on the subject, and not meant to be imposing in any way.

Please keep in mind that these guys have lived bonsai 24 - 7 for the length of their apprenticeship. Maybe they haven't done it for decades but they had to prove their horticultural skills before they ever could even touch a tree.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yenling, have you read Michael Hagedorn's book Post Dated? It is about his aprenticship in Japan. I bet you would enjoy it. I bought my copy from Stone Lantern.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Yenling, have you read Michael Hagedorn's book Post Dated? It is about his aprenticship in Japan. I bet you would enjoy it. I bought my copy from Stone Lantern.

Yes, I read it in two days, love it!

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Jason,

Any updates to this thread? I just saw a video on bonsai and Ryan Neil was in it so I looked it up on google and this thread came up =)

Manny

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Ryan's interview certainly offers many insights and shows his deep love for the art of bonsai.

I have to disagree with you on Ryan not having access to great material, the US is a virtual gold mine of quality material and I am sure Jason will be a valuable source of material for Ryan.

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
ryan neil

Wow! I just read this on AoB! Ryan seemed so wise! way beyond his years! Thanks for the link Will!
I think it must be difficult for him to readjust back into the US though, because he won't have the same great material to work with like he had in Japan. And for sure, his students in the US wont be like the students he met while studying in Japan.
Si

you should see the excellent collected trees jason & randy knight have to offer ryan.
i've seen them in person & believe me.... totally killer trees !!
art rodriguez
vancouver, wa. state

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you should see the excellent collected trees jason & randy knight have to offer ryan.
i've seen them in person & believe me.... totally killer trees !!
art rodriguez
vancouver, wa. state

Jason and Randy could share these trees with me. True, I've never been to Japan to study with a master, but I read a lot of posts on the Internet!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan's interview is actually quite good and it answers a lot of questions about his apprenticeship, even many raised here in this thread. He also gives us a rare and valuable insight on the perception of American bonsai.

Will

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Ryan's interview is actually quite good and it answers a lot of questions about his apprenticeship, even many raised here in this thread. He also gives us a rare and valuable insight on the perception of American bonsai.

Will

Ryan must have talent, or else he wouldn't have chosen the career path that he has. I could go study under Kimura for twenty years and I would come home a very good wirer.

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find the opinion of American bonsai Ryan describes pretty close to what I encountered when working for a big Japanese multi-national. The perception of Americans as spoiled, soft, slightly dimwitted clods was not uncommon among Japanese executives. They thought Europeans were sophisticated and urbane...

That the opposite might sometimes be true was never considered. That their opinion was ill-informed and slightly dimwitted itself wasn't surprising given the most exposure they got to "Americans" was through the media--or in urban areas of the US.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score

Will

I don't know why I missed this interview for so long as I have read I think every other one of them. I'm so happy to have found it, it's amazing! I will read it several times. Very Inspiring.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know why I missed this interview for so long as I have read I think every other one of them. I'm so happy to have found it, it's amazing! I will read it several times. Very Inspiring.

You never missed it, we just completed it ;)

Thanks for the kind words,

Will

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence.........;)

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom