Information about Ryan Neil

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
Ryan's apprenticeship has finished. I hear he is now back in America. Please keep us updated on how his first demonstrations go :)
Good luck Ryan looking forward to you making it down under

Marija Hajdic

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was lucky to watch and learn on his demo on Noelanders trophy 2011 last weekend. I am impressed.
More photos on my blog:
http://www.animabonsai.com/2011/01/ryan-neil/

043.jpg

211.jpg

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I have really been enjoying watching, Lindsay Farr's WorldOfBonsai videos. As luck would have it, the two installments linked below show and interview with Kimura in his garden (pretty awesome BTW) and guess who is there working on trees? Ryan Neil, in the middle of his apprenticeship and he gives a short interview about what it is like.

http://vimeo.com/3191843
http://vimeo.com/3194378

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
There is an old saying, just because I teach you every thing you know, does not mean
I teach you everything I know....!!!!

Harry

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looks like I may have the chance to sit down with him in April, does he have preferances as to what materials you bring in? Probably a small group of 4 students and Ryan.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After watching the video and listening to him, I'd say bring in very advanced stock, not skinny sticks in pots, or even "good" starter stock. Sounds like he's of the opinion that "older stock is better."

Conifers would probably be more up his alley than deciduous.

If I were sitting down with him, I'd bring in my best tree and ask him "how can I make this better?" or "where can I go from here?" Then listen very very closely :D.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thats basically what I was thinking, I think I can scrape up a couple of JBP's with more than just basic structure, that need to go the next level, hmm pitch pines too. Nothing of kimura quality though, this type of deal is a delemma as well as bonus isn't it.

"Sounds like he's of the opinion that "older stock is better." " Well don't most of us?:p

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
He is very good with decidious trees as well.....and yes bring your absolute best 2 trees with you. You will learn a ton of wonderful things. Have fun.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks J, I thought I'd heard that about D trees as well. A couple of friends worked with him last year and were happilly impressed, and gave rave reviews.

One of them was the winner of last years Joshua Roth New Talent Contest, and he used his prize to have Ryan spend a day in his yard looking, talking, and working on his trees with him. He was very pleased.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What happened to @Smoke ?
He's around, but we could definitely benefit from an update! His blog hasn't been updated in a while, but the last year has been complete chaos for most people...

I think what's fascinating about this thread is that at the time it was started, I don't think anyone could have forecast the impact Ryan would have on the US bonsai scene.

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
He's around, but we could definitely benefit from an update! His blog hasn't been updated in a while, but the last year has been complete chaos for most people...

I think what's fascinating about this thread is that at the time it was started, I don't think anyone could have forecast the impact Ryan would have on the US bonsai scene.
Yeah, indeed. Very interesting.

Top Bottom