Inherited Plants

macfreeman7

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hello friends,

Glad to be here! I just wanted to introduce myself and my situation with bonsai. I will definitely be in need of the discussion generated around here.

I graduated in horticulture just a few months ago from a state university. I have always been interested in plants, even as a child. I now work in the landscape contracting industry and enjoy it a lot.

Although I have taken lots of different hort classes and researched much on my own, I have no experience with bonsai. This is partially due to the fact that a college lifestyle is not conducive to bonsai nor is it financially feasible.

However, several days ago I inherited 10 bonsai from my grandfather who is in hospice care. He is very old and is preparing for the final stages of life. I consider it an absolute honor to care for his bonsai. We recently spent an hour going over some of his books, but since he is ill, I can't talk with him at length about all the ins and outs of caring for them.

The bonsai are in terrible condition. They have been moved, neglected, and thrown around for the past year. My grandmother passed away several months ago, so they have not been the priority. They have bad mealybug infestations, 75% defoliated, dry as a bone...

Last night I put them all in the bathtub and soaked the soil. I then sprayed off the mealybugs with water and hit them all with horticultural oil.

Here is the problem; for one thing I can't identify all of them. Secondly, I live in a basement apartment with very filtered indirect light and cool temperatures. Can bonsai thrive in these conditions? I intend on bringing in a humidifier.

I plan to post some pictures. I welcome any and all advice. I will have plenty of questions!

Thank you so much!

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Welcome MFM,

Amending your profile to note where you live will help with determining which trees can go outdoors (if any) year round.

Some kind of supplimental light for the tender trees will also be in order.

No tree really does all that well indoors 24-7-365.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let me add a slightly different take on what coppice said. Given the weakened condition of the trees you're inherited, the odds are very slim that you will be able to keep any of them alive indoors. Under the best of circumstances, with plenty of experience and the right equipment, you could probably maintain some tropicals indoors. But any temperate zone trees you may have will need to be placed outside immediately and given appropriate care for plants that have been weakened through neglect. I don't know where you are, but if in North America you may also have the challenge of winter to deal with. Please don't make the mistake of assuming your (temperate zone) trees will be better off indoors! They still need to be outside, perhaps with protection for the roots depending on where you are.

I wish you the best of luck with these trees. Please keep us posted and ask whatever questions you have. If you can post photos, we can help with identifying your species and give more specific advice.

Zach

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is the problem; for one thing I can't identify all of them.
Post pics and we will try to ID them if we can.

Secondly, I live in a basement apartment with very filtered indirect light and cool temperatures. Can bonsai thrive in these conditions?
What did you learn from your horticulture class about this (in general - not just bonsai)?

Growing plants in "artificial" environment is NEVER better than their respective natural environment. They will most likely decline in health unless your setup and care is perfect.

I have some of my tropical plants in w/ artificial light but those, while growing, are sending weak/frail looking leaves and branches. My main goal is just keep them alive until spring, then out they go.

I'll follow-up that we need to know your location/zone to give you better advise.

Good luck!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Welcome, even under the unfortunate circumstances. You'd be very well served to provide a location and we can likely direct you to find a local with experience to assist. A few days can make the difference. If by chance you're near Birmingham, I'd be happy to assist.

Some of my bonsai buddies and I have our trees in our wills and a stated commitment that if something happens, we implement our "continuity plan" within 24 hours (pick up, deliver, or water in place)...especially in the summer. It buys some time for loved ones to sort the important things out in the meantime and the trees are still handled.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If your trees aren't conifers and they've leafed out, and if you live in an area where temps drop or have already dropped below freezing then they may have to stay indoors till spring. Unless you have a temperature controlled cold house you'll want to buy a good indoor light and humidifier for them for the winter months.

I have between 50-60 plants/trees and all but 5 of them spend all year outside. The 5 that come inside when temps get around 40 are tropicals, I grow them under a metal halide light during the winter. They don't thrive like they do outside but they don't die as they would if their roots froze outside.

Like others mentioned pics will help identify the species you have. :)

Last edited:

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I am sorry for your being brought to bonsai this way.

As possessive and aquisative many bonsai growers are, those of us on the wrong side of 30 do, should, or aught to consider, some kind of advance directive for the time when we cannot care for our trees.

So your post has caused some regulars here to think past the present...

As you return these trees to regular lighting and watering, some just are not going to suffer any changes you begin.

Of the ones that do, some will be years recovering.

there should be some tools books and empty pots, you may also want to recover any of those you can.

Please keep us your thoughts, we will be of like mind for you and your family.

macfreeman7

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am happily overwhelmed by how many of you replied so quickly. Thank you for the warm welcome. I have read every post in detail. This obviously is a very popular forum.

First off, I failed to say that I'm mostly positive all of these bonsai are tropicals. I am fairly certain I now have some type of orange/lemon, two jades (very bad shape), ficus, and a big desert rose. The desert rose had mealybug the worst. It is quite large, with a 10 inch caliper trunk.

I live on the east coast in the US - Washington DC area, zone 6B

I will post pictures and more details soon.

Thanks for everything so far,

Zach

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am happily overwhelmed by how many of you replied so quickly. Thank you for the warm welcome. I have read every post in detail. This obviously is a very popular forum.

First off, I failed to say that I'm mostly positive all of these bonsai are tropicals. I am fairly certain I now have some type of orange/lemon, two jades (very bad shape), ficus, and a big desert rose. The desert rose had mealybug the worst. It is quite large, with a 10 inch caliper trunk.

I live on the east coast in the US - Washington DC area, zone 6B

I will post pictures and more details soon.

Thanks for everything so far,

Zach
Don't put them outside! Get more light (of the right kind) inside! There are a number of tropical pros here who can help you. I'm not one of them.

Zach

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would say that having the degree in horticulture is a step forward in the right direction. You have the skills and knowledge in place to be able to deal with the majority of issues that may come up. The trees that you mention will work inside for short periods but as everyone has said, they should be outside after the constant temperatures are above 40*-50*F. Depending on your location, I would suggest hitting some of the local hydroponic or indoor grow venues. While you are probably not looking for the extreme set up for those who grow inside all the time, they will have the grow lights and equipment to help.

I would also suggest that you contact some people in your area for advice. Fortunately you are in a part of the country where Bonsai enthusiasts/hobbyists are fairly prolific. They will be able to offer advice not only generally but also specific regional suggestions including suppliers and such.

Welcome to Bonsai.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Well his last post says he's in the DC area. Somebody must know somebody (else) in or near the National Arboratum. Yea that one on NY Ave.

He should be able to get good local advice...

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I went out to Portland for 5 days last month. Before leaving I taught my wife how to water properly..... I guess i'm not a great teacher cause when I got back my 5 indoor trees looked dead. All the leaves were dried up and had dropped off. I immersed them for almost 24 hours in a very diluted vitamin B solution "superthrive," and removed them from under my grow lights for that time. I moved them back under the following day and misted them frequently for the next week, now all but one of them have new leaves coming in on every branch. Tropicals, at least the types i have seem to appreciate a long soak when bad health is due to missed watering.

As for mealy bugs I've dealt with them on Camellias and Bougainvillea in the past by mixing a diluted solution of 1 quart room temperature water, 1-2 tablespoons of regular dish soap we use dawn, and about 1/3 cup of rubbing alcohol. This breaks down the waxy coating on their outside and dries up the bug beneath. If you find any remaining after a week and a half you can repeat.

Mealy bugs rarely kill a tree quickly unless the infestation is severe. Once you get them under good light, and have the watering and humidity nailed down the mealy bugs should be relatively easy to take care of.

If you set up lights make sure you start with the lights at the farthest recommended distance and move them closer as the days pass. That way you won't burn the leaves if they've been without proper light for a week or two now.

Don't give up hope, since they are tropicals they may be ok.

macfreeman7

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
More good advice... thank you!

OK, so I finally had the chance to take pictures. If any of you have ANY advice on a particular specimen, please cite which one you are talking about. I would appreciate any feedback about any of these... perhaps you've had one in the past, or know what their most problematic issues are, etc.

Some general questions:

1) Can you help me identify these plants? Desert rose, two are jade, and two look like ficus...
2) As you can see, some of these plants are really pot bound. I have to resist the inclination to repot them, because bonsai are supposed to pot bound, right?
3) Some of them are lose in the soil...they could easily be popped out of the pot. What is the best soil media to use to resettle them? I prefer ProMix for all of my houseplants since it drains so easily.
4) Can I prune now in the winter? The desert rose especially has deadwood and damage from the mealybug at almost all of its terminal buds. The two jade also have deadwood, but I'm afraid these areas might produce new growth. I think pruning anything now would just put the plants under more stress, but then again I've got mealybugs down in dead crevices.
5) Can I prune any roots this time of year if I need to?
6) How often do I water these? Tropicals shouldn't dry out... then again, I know nothing about a desert rose nor palms.
7) Light requirements? In the pictures you can see I have them right next to a basement door that gets bright indirect light. Is this enough? What are your favorite supplemental lighting systems for tropicals that are affordable for beginners?

...that's enough for now! Still spot treating for mealybugs with alcohol. Now I have found scale, too.

Thanks for everything,

Zach

Attachments

• IMG_1114.jpg
    IMG_1114.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 3

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The good thing is that there is no bonsai on these lot yet and none are of real "monetary" value as well so even if you lose some or all...it is not a big lost. Sorry.

Learn from them though and best of all...enjoy it.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Most of them look pretty healthy. The ones that aren't may just be adjusting to your new place. Their tropicals so don't forget the humidifier.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
2nd one is a ponytail palm, also called elephant foot.
5th one down (with fronds) is a sago palm.
last one appears to be jade or portulacaria (sp?).

All are often used as houseplants and should be treated as such. They look healthy, except for the last one, which if IDd correctly, should be kept very dry.

macfreeman7

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The good thing is that there is no bonsai on these lot yet and none are of real "monetary" value as well so even if you lose some or all...it is not a big lost. Sorry.

As I said in my first post, these are plants I got from my grandfather who is on his deathbed. I'm not concerned with how much they are worth. They are special to me.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wish you good memories of your grandfather, and the best of luck with these plants. You should fare well with the ficus if you care for them as laid out. Some may not be suited to your specific environment, but I wish you joy with what does live beyond your grandfathers loving care.
Best regards,
Judy

Top Bottom