Inherited Trident - Ideas for improvements?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So my father in law passed away, a wonderful man with 45 working, styled bonsai that he’d worked on some as long as 25 years. He was barely able to maintain his bonsai his last 3-4 years Due to illness. We parceled out all the trees to friends and family members. My wife and I got an even dozen. I got some good help to keep them alive from one of Dad’s friends. My wife and I spent all year learning the basic tools of the trade from lots of books, our knowledgeable friend, PSBA training and meetings, and Bonsai Northwest. (...and collected a number of smaller trees, go figure!)
We were very happy to see each tree grow strongly this year. However, as fall hit I started noticing things about the potting status, shape, form, and styling of each that needed attention. So I‘d like to introduce some of the “needs improvement” trees that are out of my skill level every once in awhile and ask for thoughts.

Case One: root over rock Trident Maple (see photos)
Situation as I see it.
- Basically a healthy tree, producing vigorous growth. I like the pot!
- likely not repotted for 4+ years
- nabari strong roots appear to need a little rearranging, also rocks are getting a little bit loose under roots?
- has one lone lower branch that is developing,
- trunk above branch has a curved bulge that looks to be a reverse taper from front/back side, budge doesn’t appear much from sides.
- upper canopy maybe a bit crowded, pruning has solely been focused on cutting leaf pairs back to two.
Can folks tell me what thoughts they have?

Attachments

• 1B614CAC-D942-419E-AF22-A0EEB0306DA3.jpeg
    1B614CAC-D942-419E-AF22-A0EEB0306DA3.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 347
  • 66C20E0A-352D-476C-88D7-C8FB29A32DC8.jpeg
    66C20E0A-352D-476C-88D7-C8FB29A32DC8.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 324
  • AB1F6372-AF26-445A-83FB-3D85EE550EDB.jpeg
    AB1F6372-AF26-445A-83FB-3D85EE550EDB.jpeg
    391.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 7F53916A-5701-4F94-A3D1-D01ADE5351FE.jpeg
    7F53916A-5701-4F94-A3D1-D01ADE5351FE.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 310
Reaction score
Hello 👋

That’s a nice tree for sure and it’s got some age to it. Takes a couple decades to get that kind of bark

IMO it needs nothing. Learn how it grows and how to look after it. Potentially repot it if it’s root bound. Have a vision for its future.

Check out evergreen garden works website

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd consider airlayering the lower portion of trunk away. You can decide exactly how much, but I'd at least layer the tree off the straight portion of lower/lowest trunk. The nebari's roots can't be rearranged. You can graft (approach/thread) new roots, or wound it and plant it deeper (covered with sphagnum?) to try to improve what's there, ...but you're not going to move those roots meaningfully.

As for the canopy, more on that when its leafless. If its growing healthy, it likely needs some thinning. At leaf-fall is a good time for thinning and wiring if your winters are mild (8b makes me think they are). For bigger cuts, wait until late winter or early spring.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here’s images of the tree without leaves. It’s mulched in for the winter.

Attachments

• 9E849E1B-1A08-449D-8D5F-BB2C1672A5BD.jpeg
    9E849E1B-1A08-449D-8D5F-BB2C1672A5BD.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 270
  • D2A7AFDA-3527-4A55-B3F5-25FD2290E142.jpeg
    D2A7AFDA-3527-4A55-B3F5-25FD2290E142.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 242

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You are correct about the branches looking crowded. That is something that happens as trees develop. We always start with more than necessary as skinny branches take up little space so more makes it look better. As the branches develop, thicken and ramify each one takes up more space and they do become crowded. Because you have put in so much time and effort to develop those branches it is hard to cut one off. Also hard to make the decision which one(s) to cut and which to leave so we procrastinate and leave them all there for far too long.
When you do finally make the decision you wonder why you had not done it sooner.

Those roots are typical of tridents that were started many years ago and did not have the root attention to make good nebari. Most growers would prefer to see an even spread of roots all round the trunk but if you like the look keep it. Shoving rocks in to fill the spaces is not really an improvement. Trees with rocks should look like they grew round the rocks. I'm surprised the rocks are becoming loose. Usually the roots get thicker and trap them in place.
Again, roots are up to you. I would try to improve/replace the current roots - as mentioned these ones will not move so radical pruning or growing new ones is probably the answer. The current roots do have a certain character that may even fit with that elongated trunk.
There's very little you can do about any reverse taper in a trunk like that except layer at or above the bulge to get new roots which will change the entire look of the tree. That could be good but may not fit with your ideas of maintaining an inherited legacy.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
It’s nice that they have passed on to people with the enthusiasm to start from scratch, knowing all the effort that needs to be put in. I’m just a noob so cant really offer advice, but good luck. What better legacy to leave than one where you will always be part of it?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
2019-12-12_14.27.10.jpg

I would layer off this tree. Then I would work on building something new with the original tree left behind. Leaving the one branch will make sure the base tree lives and then you can do something. Grafts, new tree design, etc. The top should make a very nice tree.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
View attachment 274140

I would layer off this tree. Then I would work on building something new with the original tree left behind. Leaving the one branch will make sure the base tree lives and then you can do something. Grafts, new tree design, etc. The top should make a very nice tree.
Sorry for you loss.

I was just about to comment the same thing. If it were my tree I would do that.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This guy‘s thread got lost over the years. It’s still ticking though. Being a multigenerational tree in the family, air layering wasn’t possible. So it was left to grow with a number of branch cut backs up above. Otherwise it has definately calipered out more.. It’s nothing special. Note splitting bark. Inner bark is red yellowish.

The tree just came out of winter storage last week. Late this winter we put in a few thread graft in hopes of replacing a long lost branch.

IMG_1463.jpeg

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Regretfully this not possible. As it’s been in the family for a really long time, I’ve gotta get the go ahead from many parties on the in law side.

Last time I tried I barely escaped getting voted out of the family. So it’s the art of the possible on this tree. I’ll try asking again down the road.

Cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Regretfully this not possible. As it’s been in the family for a really long time, I’ve gotta get the go ahead from many parties on the in law side.

Last time I tried I barely escaped getting voted out of the family. So it’s the art of the possible on this tree. I’ll try asking again down the road.

Cheers
DSD sends
If Air layer is not possible, I will start root grafting this tree to have a bad ass nebari.
And Will make it more of a naturalistic design vs a idealistic design.

Thanks
Chris

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think I was the first one on the airlayer-train for this tree. Re-reading it after you bumped it, I couldn't believe I'd suggested airlayering it. (I did. See above.) I stand by my comments on the roots, but it has an elegance being tall that I think you were wise to preserve.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
JFYI, the roots are over a vesiculated lava rock, but the roots eventually broke the rock into three.

Thinking it might be possible to explore getting a selection of rocks and resetting the tree on a new rock during the next repot. Might be a fun challenge?

cheers
DSD sends

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Purists will cringe, but it looks bunjinish to me. Setting on a new rock will be quite a challenge. Since the rock is broken, maybe take it out at the next repot. Let the nebari develop, and make the top more open.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some great suggestions folk!

When we first inherited this tree from my Father in Law was he suddenly passed it was in bad health… root issues etc. The big challenge was to just keep the tree alive and it lost a couple branches in the next few years. It’s been stabilized now, hence the thread graft for a branch replacement. (Also because I love to experiment! 😉)

David D discussed the tree with the two of us awhile back. At that time we were more concerned about a possible reverse taper at the 2/3 up area…. but we discussed the entire tree. He was of somewhat similar opinion about the style. Also said to grow it out and solve the nebari-rock issue later. It’s later…

I’ll post a couple better images once it leafs out.

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom