Inherited Ulmus parvifolia 'Seiju'

Prussian

Seed
Reaction score
Hello I joined this forum to get some tips on a poor looking Ulmus parvifolia 'Seiju Dwarf'. I am not familiar with the hobby of bonsai plants, but I inherited one unexpectedly.

The plant is part of a small table top fairy garden that belonged to a family member who has passed away. No one was interested in it and I felt it deserved at least a chance to continue. I have no greenthumb but the other plants (stonecrop, perenial flowers) look good. The small Ulmus parvifolia does look very poor though.

From as much as I can tell the fairy garden has always been outdoors. The Seiju is only a couple years old and I wouldnt consider it an active bonsai more like one that was planted and forgotten. It is planted in the general soil of the entire fairy garden. The fairy garden dirt looks like average potting mix, dirt and perlite. I know there were bags of Fox Farm dirt, cactus mix and seedling mix at the home when I picked up the garden.

It is in the US state of Ohio right on the border of zone 6a and 5b according to the zone map. Snowy and cold winters and this recent winter did have negative temperatures.

Within the last month the weather has been up and down with 85 degree days and also 50-60 degree cold fronts off and on. Today is cold and windy and within two days it will be back to 80 degrees, typical Ohio rollercoaster weather.

Since it has been neglected until I claimed it, I believe it has survived off of rain water. With a stretch of rainy weather it has probably received too much and I have moved it to where it is blocked from rain so it can dry out. I have not watered or fertilized it as drying out is the priority.

It has dead brown leaves and dry branches that snap off with just a touch, but also has green sprouts in some areas.

I'm looking for any advice to resurrect and keep this bonsai alive as best as I can. Once it dries out I'm unsure of the next best step.

Thank you

I have attached photos
View attachment 437131
View attachment 437132
View attachment 437133

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Consider repotting it into better soil. Now would be the right time. It will need full sun, and probably daily water in the hot summer, and some winter protection from temps much below freezing. Good beginner tree. They grow well and will keep you busy with scissors all summer!
Welcome to the site.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pictures have not posted which makes it difficult to assess properly.
Brown leaves and branches snap does not sound good. Some green sound better.
How confident are you in the Seiju ID? There's another form of Chinese elm called Hokkaido that has smaller leaves and very dwarf growth but very brittle branches. It would make sense that a mini fairy garden could have Hokkaido as they don't need as much pruning. Good photos of branches and leaves with something for scale may help decide.

Outdoors is good. Whether rain will overwater will depend on the soil mix and how much scope for drainage the container has.
Protection from rain is not normally required but poorly draining soil type and large, flat container with limited drain holes may require more care with rain and water. Take care not to go too far toward dry.
cacti mix has been used successfully as bonsai soil.

Wait for successful photos before offering more opinions.

Top Bottom