PTs Taylor's Sunburst

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
First time poster, long time reader.

I bought this ponderosa pine on father's day and have been hemming and hawing about what to do with it since.

My original thought was to try some dramatic bends on it and make it a contorted prostrate semi cascade. Also toyed with literati ideas?

Now I think I'm inclined to cut at the red line and make it a shorter slanting style. It has nice movement low on the trunk, but it tapers off. Also the taper over the tree is minimal.

I figure the top branch becomes a leader to extend the slant, or I get new vertical growth and it is more informal upright.

Also unsure of the timing for a cut, I've read winter or early spring?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20220808_011048726.jpg
    PXL_20220808_011048726.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 142
  • PXL_20220808_010931156~2.jpg
    PXL_20220808_010931156~2.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited by a moderator:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
August is a good time to prune most pines to induce back budding. The downer about it is that there will likely be some resin bleed - less so, the longer you wait.

Likewise, if you try to do some stem bending and or styling, the bark will get sticky and still slips fairly easily. Again, less so, the longer you wait.

I suggest you try out things you want to do on a branch or the trunk part you are not likely to want anyway, just to see for yourself, before you attempt executing what you've got planned. If the test turns out to be 'no biggie', then go for it. Else test again later and refrain from executing your plan until such time as you feel sufficiently prepared.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please add location to profile. Needles seem short for Ponderosa. Certain of ID? Honestly, appears as Lodgepole. Whether or not first development should be: is bigger trunk desired?

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I vote for lodgepole too. Pretty young. You can probably bend the heck out of it.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The tree has nice branching and has some good possibilities so I would be careful just whacking on it. Get some local help if you're new to this. Not a Ponderosa by the way.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Sorry, for mix up, is is a lodgepole. I spent all weekend looking at ponderosa while camping all weekend.

I'm in Seattle, will update my bio.

Attachments

• PXL_20220624_003629062.jpg
    PXL_20220624_003629062.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 109

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I did eventually settle on a direction on this retaining all of its height. After reducing whorls it would have been to sparse as a shorter tree. I've retained branches lower than I probably should (lower third) for a tree this tall but wanted to keep some options open going into the spring.

Planning on repotting into a training pot in the spring. Maybe in 100% pummace or pummice, lava, organic mix.

Attachments

• PXL_20220820_172059225.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220820_172059225.PORTRAIT.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 89

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I wish I could rename this post, but oh well. The new growth on this is a lovely yellow, that will green over time.

PXL_20230514_033757232.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The new growth on this is a lovely yellow, that will green over time.
🤔 I think your soil is too wet.
If I'm right, the new growth will not green up as you expect.

Mine are doing much better now in quarter-inch pumice. I simply couldn't manage the complication of adjusting my watering with my collection of 50-ish different species to keep them in the finer grained medium I was using (for everything else)..

Last edited:

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some variegated pine cultivars green up over the season (my variegated mugo) and some don’t ever (my two variegated JBPs). They do often leaf out in a variegated state however which means a lot of “must have needlecast” / “must be overwatering” suspicions from bystanders. There are kajillions of these specialty variegated pines in willamette valley nurseries and I don’t think the tree in the pictures is atypical. This is what happens.

On the other hand I grow a lot of lodgepole and they really suck to develop (as in starting to do bonsai actions) in nursery soil and overly large nursery pots that hold wetness. Don’t chop or prune until this tree is well on its way to recovery in pure pumice. A lodgepole will occupy a pot much faster than a ponderosa but it still does so much much slower if pruned than if left bushy. Get the transition away from nursery soil over with first.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is a Taylor's Sunburst varietal, intentionally developed for the yellow needles.

@MaciekA I did a half soil replacement this year, and put it into the root builder pot with lots of drainage.

Next year the rest of the nursery soil will get raked out and I'll let it settle another season before going into another smaller pot.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Bonsai Nut is it possible for you to rename this thread? Replace with "PTs Taylor's Sunburst"

Please and thank you if you have time.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Today went to replace the rest of the nursery soil on this tree. I intended to put it back into the 3 gallon pot but opted to put it into the half size Anderson flat. I think I should have pulled more soil out to it sits level with the top of the pot. I struggle at times to have enough time to do the work I want and do know if I'm taking to much soil out at once.

I'm also wondering if I should ground layer this where I think this was grafted at the base.

Attachments

• PXL_20240211_211246514.jpg
    PXL_20240211_211246514.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20240211_211417905.jpg
    PXL_20240211_211417905.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20240211_222550466.jpg
    PXL_20240211_222550466.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 42

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would assume that "Taylor's Sunburst" is a grafted tree?

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's a varietal of lodgepole, I assume it's propagated by graft or cutting to keep the consistent variegated coloring.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This will be a fun tree and I hope to follow it for years as there don't seem to be many (if any? so far I'm just counting me and you outside of a few examples in Japan) that are interested in variegated pines as bonsai.

If I can offer advice, if it were my lodgepole, I'd try to have all the branches at least gently wired down and in their future position by fall. Not because the window to bend is closing, far from it, but more to get the future branch positions into place and start incentivizing interior growth on those branches. It'll still be recovering from the repot by then, but lodgepole responds to branch drops and positional changes very quickly, and the "afterglow" of its time in a commercial nursery will be adding some spin to the vigor wheel for a little while longer, especially as the roots are colonizing fresh soil.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This will be a fun tree and I hope to follow it for years as there don't seem to be many (if any? so far I'm just counting me and you outside of a few examples in Japan) that are interested in variegated pines as bonsai.

If I can offer advice, if it were my lodgepole, I'd try to have all the branches at least gently wired down and in their future position by fall. Not because the window to bend is closing, far from it, but more to get the future branch positions into place and start incentivizing interior growth on those branches. It'll still be recovering from the repot by then, but lodgepole responds to branch drops and positional changes very quickly, and the "afterglow" of its time in a commercial nursery will be adding some spin to the vigor wheel for a little while longer, especially as the roots are colonizing fresh soil.
I think now that I have a better sense of where I see this going as a literati pine I'll be better able to get branches where I want them. I think with this replant I really understand the front I want to have, and have found the best line of the trunk.

So I think I'll probably take most of the branches on the lower ⅔ off, I've held onto them as I made some.

Attachments

• PXL_20240211_222550466~2.jpg
    PXL_20240211_222550466~2.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 21

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Fixed my low soil problem, solution looks like a litterbox, but it'll do.

Top Bottom