Initial pruning and styling on my new formal upright Hinoki Cypress

Iamtheuniballer

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I did some initial pruning and styling on a new Hinoki Cypress last weekend. This one was a massive tree to work on. It will go into a bonsai pot next spring. Whiskey bottle on the after photo for size. Here is a before and after.

yf0a0pk8gkf71.jpg

weah9qk8gkf71.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Very cool! When I saw the first image, I initially thought you might want to reduce the apex further and jin the top... but you have done such a nice natural wiring job that I have changed my mind :)

Very naturalistic! I think over time you might eliminate a couple of your lowest branches, which will give the tree the illusion of a little more scale and age... but that is a bridge you can cross later!

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep. Great work for sure. Very reminiscent of Bjorns recent styling of a big hinoki. I do agree with Greg as well that some branch removal or jinning over time will really set this tree off. Primo tree.

Iamtheuniballer

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very cool! When I saw the first image, I initially thought you might want to reduce the apex further and jin the top... but you have done such a nice natural wiring job that I have changed my mind :)

Very naturalistic! I think over time you might eliminate a couple of your lowest branches, which will give the tree the illusion of a little more scale and age... but that is a bridge you can cross later!
I agree with the reduction of branches in time. Just not ready to do that quite yet. :)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Uniballer. Lots of Hinoki talk the last few days. Any updates on this one?

Top Bottom