Initial styling for bunjin shimpaku

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is the initial styling of a 20 yr. old shimpaku. It was purchased in early June in a 2 gal. nursery container. Since it was very pot-bound, I slipped it into a 3 gal. container to make due until this coming Spring. At that point, I'll move into into a training pot. Some of the branches still need to go. Others will tuck in a little tighter to follow down the flow of the trunk and the shari will probably be elongated a bit. The odd exposed root at the base will go once I see how much is connected. It has a fairly nice (for a juniper) nebari, otherwise.

5027884669_84c70a8a04_b.jpg

5028508610_06960e46f0_b.jpg

A small unglazed, reddish nanban pot has been recommended. Suggestions are welcome.

Best,
Kirk

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
i like what you have done with this tree. i think the pot you mentioned would go well with it too.

-zelk

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Nice start. For it to become a proper bunjin, however, I think it needs to lose a bit more foliage -- though you've probably done enough for the time being. There's still a bit too much green in the very top of this one, but I can't see the branching.

A photography suggestion: When you need to use flash, set the tree father from its background so you don't have such a dark and pronounced shadow behind it. Ambient (natural) light is always better if there's enough of it.

Attachments

• jun.jpg
    jun.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 68

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Sweet! Very nice! Not quite a bunjin really, but it's better this way I think. If you truly want a bunjin, then I would suggest growing a new leader upward a few more years, in order to get a little more height and a few more interesting curves, and then lose some lower branches like what JKL said. With a few more interesting curves on the top, this would be a killer bunjin! It is a very good looking tree now anyway. Nice wiring job too!
Thanks for sharing it.
Si

Last edited:

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for the comments and the virtual image. It will definitley lose more of its branches but I decided to take it slowly. Easier to take off than put back on. Some of them also had some extreme bends to follow the trunk line, so I left a few extra branches to serve as replacements should one die. In any case, I guess I was going for more bunjin "influenced" rather than a full-on literati tree.

I'm definitely trying to improve on the photographing techique. Thanks for the pointers on that. I may try to get a better shot of it. The photo wasn't exactly level with the tree, so its looking a little shorter than it actually is.

Any thoughts on the nanban or other style pot? It will be a year or two off, but I can start looking.

Kirk

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Kirk.. I like this styling very much...In my opinion, I think this tree might look good with your initial "bunjin influence" plan. I mean, it could be a nice bunjin as well..However, one of my favorite bonsai is a tree by Graham potter, it is a "Literati influenced tree" but not a full literati. In fact, your tree bears amazing resemblance to Graham's tree, just younger. .. You even seem to have the foliage pads in the same places with a very close looking apex...

Here is a pic....

Rob

Attachments

• gh.jpg
    gh.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 87

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Rob , thats one of my favs as well

Kirk , are you planning to reduce the lower left branch cluster. Seems kinda confused ( or maybe I'm just confused ). Id consider removing all those branches to introduce a little movement to the right. As is it seems a little static IMHO. BTW , great job so far. Can't wait to see how it turns out in a year or so.

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello Kirk.. I like this styling very much...In my opinion, I think this tree might look good with your initial "bunjin influence" plan. I mean, it could be a nice bunjin as well..However, one of my favorite bonsai is a tree by Graham potter, it is a "Literati influenced tree" but not a full literati. In fact, your tree bears amazing resemblance to Graham's tree, just younger. .. You even seem to have the foliage pads in the same places with a very close looking apex...

Here is a pic....

Rob

Thanks, Rob. I haven't seen this tree before but it really hits the nail on the head. It's spot on. I wanted tall and elegant with upper branches really reaching down. Thanks for finding and sending that image.

Kirk

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Rob , thats one of my favs as well

Kirk , are you planning to reduce the lower left branch cluster. Seems kinda confused ( or maybe I'm just confused ). Id consider removing all those branches to introduce a little movement to the right. As is it seems a little static IMHO. BTW , great job so far. Can't wait to see how it turns out in a year or so.

Dwight,

Thanks. I appreciate your input on this tree. Let me get a better photo. It may explain that lower left a bit better. In 2D it looks jumbled. I'm sure its going to need some edits as I see which branches thrive post bending.

Kirk

Top Bottom