Initial styling of a procumbens juniper

WyldStallyn

Seedling
Reaction score
So here's a tree I got from Jason Schley at Schley's Bonsai in Deland, FL. I'm a beginner, have only been doing bonsai for about four months now. Bonsai isn't so popular in Mississipi but I do live close to a local enthusiast and he has helped me tremendously.

This is my first all out style on a halfway decent piece of material. Now I just need a lot of back budding. Here are some profession pics from when I first got it all the way through to fine wiring. Constructive criticism welcome!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would move (not remove yet) everything above the second branch up. Let light get down to those first 2 branches, as that's where your final tree resides to me !

Nice Job. Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, that second branch would become my new apex eventually, it's got a lot going for it. Mobility, branching, taper.

Sorce

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is that aluminum wire? it seems a bit thin for those branches. Does it hold well enough?

WyldStallyn

Seedling
Reaction score
Is that aluminum wire? it seems a bit thin for those branches. Does it hold well enough?
It is aluminum, yes. It holds well enough for now. Wanted to just put basic structure on it.

WyldStallyn

Seedling
Reaction score
Here's an update on this sucker after about 7 months of growing. Filling in nicely, I think. Haven't done anything to it except feed and water since I wired it. Going to let it grow this season and reassess in the fall regarding design. If anyone has any good ideas, throw them at me!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 260

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is that right branch the same thickness as the trunk? With the canopy spread out so much, it makes the trunk look thinner. I would think about jinning the thick branching, trying to compact the tree, and overall trying simplify the branch structure.

WyldStallyn

Seedling
Reaction score
So, I said I was going to just let this grow. I was wrong. I've been looking at it for awhile and that bottom right branch had to be dealt with.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 192

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Better, but the jinned branch now covers the back branch. Might consider just removing it all together and when you do pull the branch toward the pot to create shari on the trunk. Just a thought - live with it for awhile and it will tell you what to do.

WyldStallyn

Seedling
Reaction score
I think with a little bit of wire, I can space everything out.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Time to think it out considerably. I would try to cut the branches back by half and see where it will back bud. Leave some foliage on the branches though else you will kill the branch.

Last edited:

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would just reduce the jin by 1/2 like Adair said. I wouldnt shorten any other branches. Very nice job for your first tree.

Rick

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It is my belief that sometimes an artist can go beyond where they need to go just because the tree will respond. This tree has become very healthy but it has once more done what this species does; become a bush. I have posted the image where your tree went throng its best image and should have been developed from this point IMHO. It is important in my opinion that the branching must be visible and the green foliage should sit upon those branches like trees in the woods.

webJuni.jpg

Top Bottom