Initial work on an RMJ

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The presence of juvenile foliage prompted me to leave on a bit more foliage+secondary/tertiary branches than I would have otherwise. Very rough but set the main structure. Playing with angle, liking the raised elevation on the tree's left side, but dunno yet. Thoughts?

RMJ material.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmm, from my perspective, the two trunks are moving away from each other and don’t seem to belong on the same tree. I d be wanting to tilt this trunk in the opposite direction and have both trunks moving to the right.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Same feeling.

Except I think the right bit got brought too far away.

If like to see it flat in that pot but pinched inwards closer together.

Nice Shari.
Dope swoop.

Sorce

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hmmm, from my perspective, the two trunks are moving away from each other and don’t seem to belong on the same tree. I d be wanting to tilt this trunk in the opposite direction and have both trunks moving to the right.
Got it. thanks for the feedback. I tried that angle, didnt like it as much. thoughts?

Attachments

• rmj upright.jpg
    rmj upright.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 77

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Much better. Move the canopy of the left trunk to the right a bit more and you’ve got a winner.
Really? You prefer that inclination? Maybe its my shitty photography ... who knows? I'll reconsider this....thanks

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
Please take my comments on styling with a pinch of unprofessional salt. It is and will always be a hobby for me.

I like the first angle better. The only thing would do is bring it over more to line up ever so slightly left of the base and flow more to the right. I may also think about removing the thin, straight up jin. It looks weak when compared to the power of the rest of the tree.

Right before the apex there seems to be a cluster of multi directional branches. I would look if I could order that a little.
but as I said. I like it and it already looks better than any tree in my garden. GET IT DAWG!!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Really? You prefer that inclination? Maybe its my shitty photography ... who knows? I'll reconsider this....thanks
Yup... from the movement of the lower trunks, the deadwood, the positioning of the trunks... everything seems better tipped to the right.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think the bottom right branch/trunk should be jinned. I love clumps/multitrunks as much as anyone, but here it doesn’t feel coherent for me. I’d keep a lot of it as deadwood.

GREAT tree. I’d love to have this in my garden 😎

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not shitty photography at all. you obviously took the time to style and wire out the tree properly. And I agree with @Dav4 the tree in my eye wants to move right. The Jin in the first pic moving vertically is a visual barrier for each trunk and if tilted right, even more than you have in the second pic? would help. Just my opinion of course. Regardless, Kudos to you for truly taking time to fully wire and style the tree.

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think the bottom right branch/trunk should be jinned. I love clumps/multitrunks as much as anyone, but here it doesn’t feel coherent for me. I’d keep a lot of it as deadwood.

GREAT tree. I’d love to have this in my garden 😎

Thank you Colorado...I hear you, makes sense. I do think this bottom right branch provides a unique defining branch for the tree, with some tweeks to finalize it's inclination and further branch/foliage refinement...perhaps I'll be able to change your opinion as this one progresses.✌️

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not shitty photography at all. you obviously took the time to style and wire out the tree properly. And I agree with @Dav4 the tree in my eye wants to move right. The Jin in the first pic moving vertically is a visual barrier for each trunk and if tilted right, even more than you have in the second pic? would help. Just my opinion of course. Regardless, Kudos to you for truly taking time to fully wire and style the tree.
Hartinez, you make a good point to consider, thank you for your feedback.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great piece of material. I agree with the others I like the tilt to the right. The straight vertical jin in your current orientation is a bit distracting. Either a tilt to the right the tree moves more with your chosen defining branch. I find the heavy jin on the left a bit distracting too. In the future maybe consider reducing it. Looks like a fun project.

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great piece of material. I agree with the others I like the tilt to the right. The straight vertical jin in your current orientation is a bit distracting. Either a tilt to the right the tree moves more with your chosen defining branch. I find the heavy jin on the left a bit distracting too. In the future maybe consider reducing it. Looks like a fun project.

Appreciate the feedback thank you

Top Bottom