Inorganic Fert Runoff

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am fixing to experiment with upping my fertilizer dosage on my trees significantly this year a la Walter Pall. The one thing that has me pausing is the thought of so much fertilizer running off and into the ground to be essentially wasted.

I am wondering if people use this runoff in anyway? Recycle it for developing trees? Dump it in the garden? Are there likely problems you could cause by doing things like this?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I go back by my old place where I would fert like that on the windowsills.

The walls are still stained.

A gutter system of sorts to distribute it across the garden is a good idea.

But that's only because there is a bad idea first I reckon.

If I could, I would connect appropriate fert ions to appropriate soil particles in all the right places.

I believe, in this case, waste may actually creat haste.

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have very tall, really green, healthy grasses growing below and surrounding the benches. I changed a couple years ago to a granular or pellet type fertilizer so I don’t have significant waste. My trees can only absorb so much in nutrients...the rest is just waste in my view. So I don’t practice over fertilizing. The closest I come to over fertilizing is putting more granules on top of the substrate....which still provides slow nutrient release that my trees can use....which I do in early summer when the new growth is maturing. I apply the granules two times in a season.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I water my trees so much in the summer that liquid fertilizer is a waste of money. If I feed one day and water for the next day, I'm diluting it already by at least 50%.
I use granules of either cow dung or chemical/mineral. Those release nutrients when watered. I can fertilize the entire garden for less than 50 dollars a year.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I water my trees so much in the summer that liquid fertilizer is a waste of money. If I feed one day and water for the next day, I'm diluting it already by at least 50%.
I use granules of either cow dung or chemical/mineral. Those release nutrients when watered. I can fertilize the entire garden for less than 50 dollars a year.
You have a well thought out practice. Mighty fine!

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think that it can be done in full hydro setups.

I think “less fertilizer, more often” is something that works for me. I only use inorganic on my portulacaria, and water them twice a week with a decent amount of miracle grow (during growing season). Trying to save fertilizer in a non hyrdo setup seems like way mire trouble than its worth.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
One thing to remember is that our trees use very little of what we give them if we use inroganics and water with a hose or auto drip/spray. Plants do take up excess nutrients that are in short supply in a process known as luxury consumption, and store it for later use but they can only take up so much. Also some is retained on ion exchange sites in the soil. So yes a lot is wasted. If you go with organics it is important that they be placed in a way so as to maximize the potential for microbial breakdown. That means they need to stay moist enough for the bacteria to do their thing. Since I use drip irrigation that won’t work very well with organics Unless I work them into the soil around the drip heads. Inhave never liked teabags because they dry out so rapidly and the bacteria don’t have much of a chance to develop—same with baskets. Overhead misting systems tend to keep things moister but I also like to give the trees a once over with a hand watering wand at least everyday.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Fertilizer runoff is not just waste. It is also pollution. It adds to nitrification of ground water and algal blooms in waterways. Commercial nurseries are required to minimize runoff now to protect people and the environment. In some places high analysis fert is prohibited to reduce problems associated with nutrient runoff. We should all be aware and responsible.
Catching runoff water and resusing it would be valuable if you can work out a way. I saw one of our Ausbonsai members had corrugated sheet iron under his benches to direct drainage water into containers for reuse.
It would take some trial and error to work out exactly how much nutrients are being recycled and how much extra fert to add.
I think the dilute nature of any runoff would minimize the risk of problems when reusing it on your plants.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I place concrete mixing tubs under my bench to catch the runoff then use to feed the other trees.
Trees don't seem to complain about the back wash;)

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The thing about "too much fertilizer" is that we don't know what that is. The tree knows, though. Give it more than it needs and it'll pick out the right amount. I have 50 bonsai and a dozen various yard trees and shrubs. I use the Walter Pall method and go through about $20 of Miracle Gro a year. Double strength MG on the 1st and the 15th of the month during the growing season. I don't see any great difference of growth under my benches than in the rest of the yard. A half cup or so of MG a month gets lost in my yard and I doubt seriously if it ever makes it to the watershed. I'll continue to "waste" fertizer just as I "waste" water that drains through the drainage holes of my pots.

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for the information all! As with everything bonsai, it seems there is a multitude of approaches to this. I appreciate all the input. Since it seems no one has expressed any real concern over reusing the runoff I think I will give it a go at collecting it and putting it to use.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple plastic tubs I set on the bench. I carry the pots to the tub to water w/fert. I let them sit a while then into the second tub to drain. I do reuse what's in the tubs back into the watering can. The trees/pots too large get the usual treatment.
I do this to about 30-40 trees and it takes all day but, I do it while doing other things little by little. Gives me a little quality time with each tree to look, check, plan and pull weeds and clean up surface of soil.
I work in my back yard shop everyday and walk past the garden all day so not a big deal for me.

Top Bottom