Inorganic soil and organic fertilisers.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need some clarification plz....
I have seen on numerous occasions, people use organic ferts with inorganic soils. That is contrary to the little logic I have. Why use it with a soil that don't house as much micro life, as an organic soil? Doesn't it make sense to use organic ferts with organic soils, and chemical ferts with inorganic soils?
What am I missing.....? :confused:

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I use organic ferts with inorganic soil. In bonsai we use inorganic substrate because it doesn't break down and clog drainage. We aren't trying to avoid microbiology in the soil, but our soil is very good at just that. I like to use organic fertilizer to invite this microlife into the soil. I use a top dressing onganic fertilizer once a month and a mix of fish emulsion and miracle grow every to weeks. I never have drainage problems and I've never had a tree die from overwatering (only under :oops:)

Aaron

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Akadama is basically inorganic. All subsoils are basically inorganic, but if there is food for microbes (nitrogen and carbon mainly) there then will be microbes there. If there are plant roots present, there will be N and C present. Therefore, if you have roots, you have microbes. The population is self regulating. If you add organic ferts with a high C content (like cakes), you will have an increased population of decomposing bacteria and fungi present. If you use inorganic ferts, the population will be lower. However, as the percentage of roots grows, the percentage of carbon increases (dead roots and exudations from live ones) the decomposes which use it as food will grow. It's all good.

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
image.jpeg My first year using akadama.
I am actually adding beneficial bacteria,trichoderma and mycorrhiza.
I fertilize liquid organics(Earthjuice)with every watering.
I personally believe that beneficial bacteria and fungi are much happier in open soils.

Top Bottom