Input on black olive

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey guys, this is a before and where it's at now pic. When I got it, it was pretty bare, but I've been cutting it back and forming some good pads. I also put it in a big training pot to let the roots grow and help with foliage. What is the next step for this besides growing and thicken up some branches? I don't know much about black olive bonsai, if you have a pic of one for inspiration, post it up.

Attachments

• received_542626796262149.jpeg
    received_542626796262149.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20191103_102349294.jpg
    IMG_20191103_102349294.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 149

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really don’t know much about olive, but I would like to suggest a better background for pics, especially the second one. It’s hard to see with other foliage in the background.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Atom, I like your second chop location. Then tilt the remaining tree towards vertical. The main trunk has no movement or taper but there could be nice movement utilizing those branches as the new trunk. The top of this tree doesnt do much for me but could be air layered above the straight section for later development.

It looks healthy though so great job!

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks all for your input...I appreciate it. I've only been working with bonsai for a little under a year. But I haven't killed a tree yet, even with trunk chopping two elms. *Knocks on wood* I like the idea of chopping this one. Though I may air layer so the top doesn't go to waste.

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have decided to not chop this black olive after a lot of thinking. I will report next time with a different angle to give the trunk a bit more move to it. It was a hard decision but given that these are a very slow growing tree, I don't want to set it back that far since it has good growth on it. Thanks for the input guys.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Black olive will not respond well to a heavy chop. If you have to do it, do it in the summer. BTW, I think it looks fabulous like it is. Guess I'm easy.

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Black olive will not respond well to a heavy chop. If you have to do it, do it in the summer. BTW, I think it looks fabulous like it is. Guess I'm easy.
Thank you! It's a work in progress trying to get better foliage pads...I'm also trying to thicken the trunk with a few different methods.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I gotta say i’m With @sorce on this one. Completely removing the taller trunk would give you a much more interesting tree. The leaves are small, not totally necessary to thicken the trunk either.
6E7B6F03-E432-4085-BC0E-3642B0725FAE.jpeg277A55EC-80DE-45F4-B0E2-DBCF83B56E77.jpeg
6E7B6F03-E432-4085-BC0E-3642B0725FAE.jpeg277A55EC-80DE-45F4-B0E2-DBCF83B56E77.jpeg

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm curious, those who say to cut it down, do you have this species of tree in your collection? If so, I'd be interested in seeing your success with cutting yours down.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
👆🤔
Forgive my poor answering of those questions....I been on some BS lately.

I'm curious, those who say to cut it down, do you have this species of tree in your collection? If so, I'd be interested in seeing your success with cutting yours down.

Do you want to know if the wound will heal?

This "cut it off" advice is purely design advice, it doesn't have anything to do with when you should cut it, or if you should seal it, or if you should cut it.

That left trunk looks so dope like that! I'd cut it without question right to where @Mike Hennigan redlined it.

It seems like it only looks good from this front where it moves left . ....
But that trunkline is fucking pimp.

Well worth years of work to build a tree around.

Great roots too! Just strong.
The strength needed to hold that heavy lean and great bulk.

This is, or can be, a dope tree!

See @JudyB olive thread. Chop it!

Sorce

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
👆🤔
Forgive my poor answering of those questions....I been on some BS lately.

Do you want to know if the wound will heal?

This "cut it off" advice is purely design advice, it doesn't have anything to do with when you should cut it, or if you should seal it, or if you should cut it.

That left trunk looks so dope like that! I'd cut it without question right to where @Mike Hennigan redlined it.

It seems like it only looks good from this front where it moves left . ....
But that trunkline is fucking pimp.

Well worth years of work to build a tree around.

Great roots too! Just strong.
The strength needed to hold that heavy lean and great bulk.

This is, or can be, a dope tree!

See @JudyB olive thread. Chop it!

Sorce
Yeah I want to know how well these trees handle chopping. Because from what I've heard from people who have done it, it's better left alone and chopping is a last resort. I am curious about progression of new growth, what I could expect. And I looked for that post you said, but couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have a link?

It is a different tree. This is just my favorite "chop it" thread.

I don't believe in wood hardener and all that preservation jazz, but I'd look into if need be, to get that trunkline.

Sorce

Top Bottom