Insect eggs on crabapple

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
Yesterday, I was checking my crabapple. And looky what I found. Some insect layed a bunch of eggs. Not all insects are bad (ladybugs mantis etc), but I didn't take the chance. I gave them the "el-kabotski".

A noted garden expert in my area (Ciscoe Morris) describes the "el-kabotski" method like this...

from this website... I use the 'el kabotski' method of pest control to rid my garden of insects. El kabotski pest control is when you insert the insect between the thumb and forefinger and it is important to yell 'el kabotski' as you squeeze

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice photo. I believe I would have removed the leaf and placed it in a vented mason jar and waited to see what they would have become. Now I'm curious....

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like eggs from the Green or Brown Stinkbug which are plant eaters and damage plants/fruit/veggies.

The other day I found some eggs like the ones in your photo with some recently hatched nymphs...checked on google images and they were positively identified as Stinkbugs. I Love the Internet for this reason!! I had maybe a tenth of the number you have! You must be proud! :D I did the 'el kabotski' to mine!

I did find (google) that there is a predatory bug that looks similar to the brown stink bug but hunts Mexican bean beetles, cabbage loopers, diamondback moth, armyworm and other caterpillars, flea beetles, and Colorado potato beetles. It is called the Spined Soldier Bug. Its eggs are silvery and have little spines coming off the top edge which is the best way to tell if you should giive the 'el kabotski' or a proud salute.

Thanks for saving us from an infestation of Stinkbugs!;)

Top Bottom