Insect eggs on Subalpine Fir

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was performing shoot selection on my Abies lasiocarpa when I found these eggs on a single needle. What do you think, @Arcto, do you recognize them? From what I read about spruce adelgids, they only lay one egg per needle, but I didn’t find that kind of information about fir adelgids.
C3AF6E1A-8EAF-4646-AB3F-2EBDE1778345.jpeg
4735E330-DF11-41F0-B387-AF9F9F24295C.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One possibility is the Two Year Cycle Budworm, lays groups of eggs on the needles in late july and august. They hatch in two weeks and form into a partial larval form to winter over. Common pest for sub alpine fir, but the only one that i know lays masses of eggs on the needle.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One possibility is the Two Year Cycle Budworm, lays groups of eggs on the needles in late july and august. They hatch in two weeks and form into a partial larval form to winter over. Common pest for sub alpine fir, but the only one that i know lays masses of eggs on the needle.
Thanks! Luckily, I only found the one cluster.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve seen these before! No ID… just confirming they’re prevalent.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I was performing shoot selection on my Abies lasiocarpa when I found these eggs on a single needle. What do you think, @Arcto, do you recognize them? From what I read about spruce adelgids, they only lay one egg per needle, but I didn’t find that kind of information about fir adelgids.
View attachment 260246
View attachment 260247

Doesn’t appear to be Wooly Balsam Adelgids. Typically Adelgid eggs are covered by the white “wool” and located on twigs and crevices in bark. Beyond that, I’m afraid I’m not much help with these.

Top Bottom