Insecticide and black spots

Justin.

Seedling
Reaction score
My fukien and bougainvillea looks like it had a bad reaction to an insecticed i used. It was a mix of sulphur and pyretherin? Caused new growth to die back and take on a nast black look. Any body know what happaned?

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Is this something that you (shudder) mixed yourself?

I can't speak for the Fukien tea, as I've never owned one, bot I've used pyrethrin on Bougainvillea often (and probably lime sulfur as a spray too) and neither caused any problems. But I didn't mix them. That is always a BAD idea.

Justin.

Seedling
Reaction score
It's called Bayer Natria Insect and disease control and it's 99% sulphur mix and .001% prytherins. I might be off on the sulphur content a bit.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It's probably the sulfur. Do the leaves smell -- rotten eggs?

It may just rub off. If not, I wouldn't use it again. You should read the pesticide label carefully. It will give the proper application concentration and rate, and will tell you if it should not be used on cetain plants.

What insect were you trying to control?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It's probably the sulfur. Do the leaves smell -- rotten eggs?

It may just rub off. If not, I wouldn't use it again. You should read the pesticide label carefully. It will give the proper application concentration and rate, and will tell you if it should not be used on cetain plants.

What insect were you trying to control?

Justin.

Seedling
Reaction score
Aphids mostly. No rotten eggs smell but I re-read the label and it does specify to not use in temps above 90 degrees. I'm thinking the spray mixed with the heat burned the leaves. :(

Top Bottom