Insecticide

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have some general questions about insecticide. I would love some help please.
What is a good brand of insecticide to use on bonsai? How often should one use insecticide? Where on the bonsai do you apply insecticide?

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have some general questions about insecticide. I would love some help please.
What is a good brand of insecticide to use on bonsai? How often should one use insecticide? Where on the bonsai do you apply insecticide?

I had read that "Organocide" is a good, organic insecticide that can even be used indoors. (I wouldn't recommend it--great fish-scent!)

As to your other questions, I can't speak to it. On the package, it says to use every 2 weeks. It's also available at Lowe's for $14/qt.

Daniel

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Check out Safer's Soap as a general, safe-to-use (organic), insecticide. Also Neem Oil is another staple. Soaps kill insects one way, oils kill them another. Check out the pros and cons of each - but either of these will be 100% safe for your bonsai through heavy applications.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am currently searching for Ultrafine parafinic oil. Ted Matson recommended it for juniper scale on my shimpaku. It is good for all types of trees, even sensitive ones like elms.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am currently searching for Ultrafine parafinic oil. Ted Matson recommended it for juniper scale on my shimpaku. It is good for all types of trees, even sensitive ones like elms.

It's the smokeless oil they use in glass candles. You can get it in fine candle shops. It isn't cheap, expect to spend about 12.00 a quart. Should last you a life time unless you fill some candles. Would last my wife about fifteen minutes:eek:

Yamadori with her juniper

Attachments

• DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you apply an insecticide depends on the level of insect infestation you're dealing with. I apply insecticide only when there is a thick infestation of a particular insect that involves more than a single tree.

Aphids can be dealt with, mostly without insecticides. Same for spider mites. Same for scale. Aphids and spider mites can be washed away with a strong upward stream of water from a hose. Scale is best hand-picked as poisons are rarely effective in controlling it.

Borers can be squished in their dens, etc.

It all boils down to how big the problem is. If I've got alot of aphids on alot of trees, I spray.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al, I didn't know you took that picture. I was concentrating on my wiring. At least you didn't get one of my funny concentration expressions. Don't get any ideas.

"You can get it in fine candle shops" - like I will find a fine candle shop up here in the mountains. Ha Ha Ha that is funny Al. Thanks for the tip though. I will ask around if there are any candle makers in these here hills.

Last edited:
Top Bottom