Insects flying around my Carmona / Fukien Tea and Loss of leaves

prongs

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently noticed that there are some insects flying and sitting on my Carmona. Is this a threat and should I do something about it or it's just a healthy natural thing? Check the attachment please
Second thing is that in recent 40 days when it got colder, some of the leaves started to get yellow and fall, but the tree still grows new shoots and leaves, and also it had only one flower in the recent month (there are blossoms but most of them just won't bloom), is this normal for the season or there is a problem?
It's my first winter with my bonsai and I'm a bit too nervous, thanks in advance for your helps.
Additional information :
I live in Tehran, Iran. In fall and winter it's 3 to-3 C outside but I kept inside temperature at 15 C or slightly higher.
I reduced feeding from per two weak to per month (since it's fall season)
I also attached some pictures of overall look and some yellow leave
If there is anything you need to know let me know.

Attachments

• 20201213_130847.jpg
    20201213_130847.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20201213_125902.jpg
    20201213_125902.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20201213_125854.jpg
    20201213_125854.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 46

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The insect in the first photo is a Drosophila species, they eat fruit, probably an incidental visitor to your Carmona, not the cause of your problem. But your tree does look like it have a problem. I can't be certain just which insect you have. I am thinking thrips, or fungus gnats.

A good insecticide that has broad spectrum effects, is mild enough for indoor use, works as a feeding inhibitor for the insects, and also has anti-fungal properties is Neem oil. It should be widely available, possibly in Iran.

Alternately you could spray your plant every 3 days or so with water to which just a drop or two, less than 0.5 milliliter of soap per liter of water, has been added. Be certain to spray the undersides of the leaves in addition to the tops of the leaves. The soapy water will mechanically wash away insects as the main mode of action.

prongs

Seedling
Reaction score
The insect in the first photo is a Drosophila species, they eat fruit, probably an incidental visitor to your Carmona, not the cause of your problem. But your tree does look like it have a problem. I can't be certain just which insect you have. I am thinking thrips, or fungus gnats.

A good insecticide that has broad spectrum effects, is mild enough for indoor use, works as a feeding inhibitor for the insects, and also has anti-fungal properties is Neem oil. It should be widely available, possibly in Iran.

Alternately you could spray your plant every 3 days or so with water to which just a drop or two, less than 0.5 milliliter of soap per liter of water, has been added. Be certain to spray the undersides of the leaves in addition to the tops of the leaves. The soapy water will mechanically wash away insects as the main mode of action.
thanks for the attention , I am a little confused ( I also searched the insects in web but they all look alike and I'm even more confused :D)
I can get the insecticide you talked about but the thing is since my plant has to be placed indoor in this time of the year, and the low temp(like 15 C which ) and low sunlight (like 1 hour of behind window sunlight) is already pressuring her ,then I'm really hesitating to use medications since it probably causes more pressure right? If this is just a random visitor which eats fruits then I rather not to use anything , Do you still suggest me to use the insecticide in this situation?

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
To me your carmona looks like it's not getting as much light as it would like. The few leaves it is losing is normal, they are just aging out, making way for new leaves. The flowers forming but not opening seems to be just not as much light as it wants. If you have fungus gnats, a few mosquito bits on top of the soil is enough to get rid of them. The product I use has Bacillus thuringiensis Iraelensis in it, which kills fungus fly larvae when they eat it. It is harmless to your plants. The bug in your picture looks like a fruit fly, as Leo said.

prongs

Seedling
Reaction score
To me your carmona looks like it's not getting as much light as it would like. The few leaves it is losing is normal, they are just aging out, making way for new leaves. The flowers forming but not opening seems to be just not as much light as it wants. If you have fungus gnats, a few mosquito bits on top of the soil is enough to get rid of them. The product I use has Bacillus thuringiensis Iraelensis in it, which kills fungus fly larvae when they eat it. It is harmless to your plants. The bug in your picture looks like a fruit fly, as Leo said.
I've ordered a growth lamp since I can't provide further sunlight, thank you for the help, by the way it's doesn't seem to be aged leaves which fall, its totally random and there are even very young and new growth which turn yellow and brown and fall eventually, as you mentioned I think thats all about the sunlight

Top Bottom