Insects in Air Layer Roots

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I opened up one of my air layers on my elderberry and discovered two different types of insects in a air layer. 1 Rolly Polly and 1 pincher. The air layer did not have any roots, but there was lots of swelling and bulging as if it tried. After 8 weeks I would have thought there would be something starting as they root very easy. Do you think they ate any roots that started to form? Sorry no pictures it’s dark out, the neighbors think I’m strange enough without going out there with a flashlight to take a picture right now 🤪

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You mean an isopod and an earwig?
They like to hide in dark damp spots, like in your air layer. If they would have eaten roots you'd see the damage. It's not abnormal to see calloused swellings before roots form.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They say rolly pollies don't eat plant tissue, mine do.
Probably not eaten the roots but.....

Sorce

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are lots of different species so it's tricky to generalise but they tend to eat dead tissue. So no problem for your plants.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They say rolly pollies don't eat plant tissue, mine do.
Probably not eaten the roots but.....

Sorce
Rolly pollies don't. They eat compost. They're friends.
Woodlice however, are family of the polly, look similar but they're of a different breed. They eat whatever is exposed, and they'll expose whatever isn't. They kill my air layers faster than I can layer them and they eat callus and roots for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Havoc. Even on healthy plants.

They are susceptible to the same stuff that kills silver fish (the "bug", not the fish).
I friggin hate woodlice. Hate em!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think your layer maybe a bit too wet. I have fire ants before but they don't hurt anything thought. Moist and tightly pack is best for layers

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Unless you are growing strawberries. They love to eat the fruit.
I thought they were different, but roly polies are a common name for a family of woodlice, it seems. Last time I checked they were treated differently nomenclature-wise. But it seems they might be one and the same. Could very well be that they've been split up in armadillidae and armadillidiidae. But crustaceans are not really my thing, so I'll save the wikipedia rabbit hole for someone else.

Fun fact: over here we call them 'pissenbedden' which can be freely translated to 'bedpissers' because back in ye olde days (pre 1940's), kids were told they would have to eat ground up roly polies to "cure" bedwetting at a later age. The threat alone usually helped a lot of kids over their bed wetting habits.

Whatever it is, I've watched them eat my air layers in real time and I think sorce caught them in the act in his lemon beaver story thread. So you wouldn't want them near your air layers to begin with.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am thinking that I should put a piece of plastic wrap with a dab of tanglefoot on the bottom of my air layer. Anything that climbs up the branch going for the air layer with get stuck. Thanks for all the information!!!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Simply rewrapping the air layers after removing the offending critters should be enough. The "Tanglefoot" should work to keep the pests from re-inhabiting your air layers.

Most air layers take MUCH LONGER to grow roots hand 8 weeks. The Ficus, willows, and others that people brag about rooting in 6 weeks are the exception, not the rule. I have an apple that took 2 years to air layer. So re-wrap and allow the air layer time. If you have well developed callus now, most likely by July you will have well developed roots. Maybe sooner. Check every 3 months. Keep the air layer in place, moist but not soggy is good. Winter your elderberry or tree that you are air layering exactly as you would normally winter the tree with no air layer in it. The air layer is as hardy as the branches and trunk of the tree you are air layering.

So just give it time, it will eventually air layer.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So here are some daytime shots. My tarnished reputation remains intact in the neighborhood 😂

Attachments

• 0E7BAD3C-133B-449B-9DEC-BA17CAAD69B7.jpeg
    0E7BAD3C-133B-449B-9DEC-BA17CAAD69B7.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 9EB5E470-0F7E-4E92-8FC7-F655FF0473CB.jpeg
    9EB5E470-0F7E-4E92-8FC7-F655FF0473CB.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 15
  • F269695E-C72F-4667-A83D-ABA76841D55A.jpeg
    F269695E-C72F-4667-A83D-ABA76841D55A.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 15

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Simply rewrapping the air layers after removing the offending critters should be enough. The "Tanglefoot" should work to keep the pests from re-inhabiting your air layers.

Most air layers take MUCH LONGER to grow roots hand 8 weeks. The Ficus, willows, and others that people brag about rooting in 6 weeks are the exception, not the rule. I have an apple that took 2 years to air layer. So re-wrap and allow the air layer time. If you have well developed callus now, most likely by July you will have well developed roots. Maybe sooner. Check every 3 months. Keep the air layer in place, moist but not soggy is good. Winter your elderberry or tree that you are air layering exactly as you would normally winter the tree with no air layer in it. The air layer is as hardy as the branches and trunk of the tree you are air layering.

So just give it time, it will eventually air layer.
I have the mother plant outside in the ground. My plan was to separate before first frost and move the cutting into a heated greenhouse. Unless it picks up steam, it doesn’t look like it will happen. They water so quick in water before leaf open in the spring, 2 weeks at max. Are you saying that if the plant survives outside normally, then the air layer should as well? I thought it would freeze solid and be a goner?

Top Bottom