Insects: SOS!

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I have always had problems with insect damage on cherries and ended up tossing them out. But here I am again with another cherry potensai - and the same old problem. I have used the recommended dosage of soapy water once a week: No help. I changed it to once a day: No help. I even tried a daily dose of Bayer Garden Provado: No help! Please! This cherry is dying and I do not know what to do. Help!

Attachments

• INSECTS 2.jpg
    INSECTS 2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 38
  • INSECTS 1.jpg
    INSECTS 1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 21

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where is it kept?

I read on another forum I think, about the benifits of using steel post for stands. Reason being, bugs don't climb steel as redily as wood, or bricks/concrete.

I beleive steel gets too hot for them, and they don't like the texture, you could keep it oiled too. They likely wont get past an oil slick.

If you can keep it isolated enough from other trees, this may help.

Also, I never spray. I only use bug on bug defense. Centipedes for soil pests. Jumping spiders (active hunters, not web waiters). Any spiders. Ladybugs. Lacewings. Praying manti.

There is a product called predalure that lures predator bugs. I may try that next year.

I read bought ladybugs bring parasites that kill local ladybugs. A no-no.

You can pluck spider egg sacks out of webs and let them hatch in your tree. I found about a hundred mite size baby spiders in a portopotty the other day. I am considering collecting them all.

Hard hose spray every day could work too. They wont get hold.

Good luck!

Sorce

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
To me looks like spider mites. There's a few recent threads on this site on them. I'd spray with a specific miticide.
Ian

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonide fruit tree spray kills a wide range of pests, if you can buy it in the land chocolate and cheese.

ed

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Where is it kept?

I read on another forum I think, about the benifits of using steel post for stands. Reason being, bugs don't climb steel as redily as wood, or bricks/concrete.

I beleive steel gets too hot for them, and they don't like the texture, you could keep it oiled too. They likely wont get past an oil slick.

If you can keep it isolated enough from other trees, this may help.

Also, I never spray. I only use bug on bug defense. Centipedes for soil pests. Jumping spiders (active hunters, not web waiters). Any spiders. Ladybugs. Lacewings. Praying manti.

There is a product called predalure that lures predator bugs. I may try that next year.

I read bought ladybugs bring parasites that kill local ladybugs. A no-no.

You can pluck spider egg sacks out of webs and let them hatch in your tree. I found about a hundred mite size baby spiders in a portopotty the other day. I am considering collecting them all.

Hard hose spray every day could work too. They wont get hold.

Good luck!

Sorce

An occasional ladybug comes by from time to time but they never stay. Probably attacked too ferociously by the mites! I do blast them EVERY DAY with a soap and water solution ….. they're back the next day. Anyway, they affect ONLY my cherry pontensai. All the others are left alone. :)

To me looks like spider mites. There's a few recent threads on this site on them. I'd spray with a specific miticide.
Ian

Yes, they do look like spider mites and I suppose that I should do more research into specific chemicals. :)

Bonide fruit tree spray kills a wide range of pests, if you can buy it in the land chocolate and cheese.

ed

“chocolate and cheese” :confused:

Top Bottom