Insert Big Pinus joke here… (Austrian Pine?)

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I purchased this pine as nursery stock in 2005. The tree was about 4’ in a 5 gallon nursery pot and was labeled as Siberian Pine but when I researched it I found the SP is a five needle pine and this is a two needle pine. The 2 needle fascicles and the way the gray, deeply fissured bark has aged leads me to believe that it’s actually an Austrian pine. I knew very little about styling and caring for pines back when I acquired this tree so there are all the errors, handle bar branches, foliage too far from the trunk, soil not the best… but it has trudged along for the last 17 years and is the tree I’ve had the longest. I think it may have ventured more into the realm of niwaki at this point but it’s still in a pot 🤷🏻‍♂️

I repotted the tree from a half whiskey barrel into the fiberglass pot it’s in now back in 2011. I placed it at an angle and removed most of the branches from one side of each whorl in an attempt to do a windswept style as it had a very topiary look to it.

Last year I got it in my head to remove the crown and started to try to pull one branch up from below the crown to become the new apex. Today I pulled the adjacent branch down and wired the pad as the process of pulling the branch down and back had twisted it in such a way as to make the entire pad slanted by about 45°. I plan to repot in the coming spring as I’ve finally found a vessel of an appropriate size that I like however I’m not sure if I’m still going to chop the top off… that will at least be held off for another two seasons.

Any idea if I’m correct in my Pinus Nigra assumption. It would be good to know for sure what it is. Also, I never actually chose a front or at least my mind has changed a dozen times over the years so I’m open to opinions on that.

639EC935-9A13-4EC0-A66E-892FC7940727.jpeg902E9EFE-6188-43C5-988A-056427EC3ECC.jpeg454F0C75-6530-4B13-BA5E-E32B1AD1B3B9.jpegF3C1EAFB-ED54-4043-8FB5-EF3914C353C6.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
*Austrian Bodybuilder Voice*

"Ja! ...Buns and Pinus!"

(In DIRECT response to title)

🤓

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
There is no movement in the trunk whatsoever from that side (besides the slant) and I don’t know that the specific foliage reduction noted in the pic is an improvement when viewed from other angles. Something to ponder anyway.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
During a class on good manners and etiquette being held for young children, the teacher says to her students:

“If you were courting a well educated young girl from a prominent family and during a dinner for two you needed to go to the toilet, what would you say to her?”

Little Mike replies: “Wait a minute, I’m gonna go take a huge piss.”

The teacher says: “That would be very rude and improper on your part.”

Little Charlie chimes in with his attempt: “I’m sorry I need to go to the toilet, I’ll be back in a minute.”

The teacher says: “That’s much better but to mention the word “toilet” during a meal, is unpleasant.”

Little Johnny says: “My dear, please excuse me for a moment. I have to go shake hands with a personal friend with whom I hope to be able to introduce to you after dinner.”

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
During a class on good manners and etiquette being held for young children, the teacher says to her students:

“If you were courting a well educated young girl from a prominent family and during a dinner for two you needed to go to the toilet, what would you say to her?”

Little Mike replies: “Wait a minute, I’m gonna go take a huge piss.”

The teacher says: “That would be very rude and improper on your part.”

Little Charlie chimes in with his attempt: “I’m sorry I need to go to the toilet, I’ll be back in a minute.”

The teacher says: “That’s much better but to mention the word “toilet” during a meal, is unpleasant.”

Little Johnny says: “My dear, please excuse me for a moment. I have to go shake hands with a personal friend with whom I hope to be able to introduce to you after dinner.”
🤔😳🤣

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There is no movement in the trunk whatsoever from that side (besides the slant) and I don’t know that the specific foliage reduction noted in the pic is an improvement when viewed from other angles. Something to ponder anyway.

There is movement elsewhere?

I....oh.

🤭

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m not sure if I’m still going to chop the top off… that will at least be held off for another two seasons.
Sounds good. That will benefit the roots recovery which they will desperately need.
(It's going to be a job having been 12 years come Spring)

Not sure this bark will help with ID or not, but this is my P. nigra
1664054573396.png
The yellow on the left side is an EWP.
1664054874267.png
This older pic shows candles in Spring and fighting needle cast.
I bought this one in 2009 in a 1g nursery container for $7.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Sounds good. That will benefit the roots recovery which they will desperately need.
(It's going to be a job having been 12 years come Spring)

Not sure this bark will help with ID or not, but this is my P. nigra
View attachment 456922
The yellow on the left side is an EWP.
View attachment 456923
This older pic shows candles in Spring and fighting needle cast.
I bought this one in 2009 in a 1g nursery container for $7.
Thanks, the photos are very helpful. The older pic of your tree has very similar bark characteristics. Here are a couple close ups of the bark on my tree.40DC8E64-4A9F-462E-9B23-1EC97D56126E.jpeg8DD20677-0239-42A4-A869-A8E9F2761ABE.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's what she said....
But she wasn't joking!

Sorce

Top Bottom