Inspiring Hilton Head tree photos

bambam

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have only been into this hobby...better described as an obsession...for a month. In such a short time, I have fell in love with the art of Bonsai. One of the wonderful results has been I have been much more aware of my surroundings in nature. While walking in Hilton Head recently with a cigar in hand, my favorite way to explore, I fell in love with the mature trees covered in Spanish Moss. I find myself looking at the lines and appreciating the nuances of the directional changes in the branches with a renewed and energized enthusiasm. I wanted to share a couple of the trees, as I know you all can appreciate them. I believe the two trees to be oak trees.

A81C53B5-A7AF-4451-8AEE-643526DC10AC.jpg

3E29F79C-F48B-4138-B409-80FEBB6D9FB5.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most of us Bonsai Nerds can't walk past a tree without qualifying it as having all the right or wrong attributes that we learn about, no matter the size. I think if you have the the obsession and I mean really really have it you can't control it. Welcome to the passion.

bambam

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Vin, I'm just at the beginning of my journey, and really don't know what is right and what is wrong along the technical lines, but I definitely know what I like in a tree when I see it.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Vin, I'm just at the beginning of my journey, and really don't know what is right and what is wrong along the technical lines, but I definitely know what I like in a tree when I see it.
The journey never ends and knowing what's right or wrong is more often opinion than fact. The fact that you photographed those trees shows you're finding what's pleasing to the eye. What's pleasing to the eye is half the battle. Keep it up!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
My parents live on Lady's Island- just past Beaufort, very close to Hilton Head. That whole area of the SC coast is beautiful, peaceful and covered with amazing old Live Oaks like these. The ones you took pictures of are relatively small compared to to he monsters they can grow to be... There are two types- the Live oak which grows to be centuries old, and MASSIVE. Like their own ecosystem, branches getting so long and heavy they droop to the ground around it... Just incredible trees! Then, there is a scrub/ Coastal Live oak that doesn't grow as large, doesn't live as long... Gets kind of ratty looking as it gets older and starts falling apart... They are pretty dangerous at that point..

This is the famous "Angel Oak" in Charleston SC:
image.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My parents live on Lady's Island- just past Beaufort, very close to Hilton Head. That whole area of the SC coast is beautiful, peaceful and covered with amazing old Live Oaks like these. The ones you took pictures of are relatively small compared to to he monsters they can grow to be... There are two types- the Live oak which grows to be centuries old, and MASSIVE. Like their own ecosystem, branches getting so long and heavy they droop to the ground around it... Just incredible trees! Then, there is a scrub/ Coastal Live oak that doesn't grow as large, doesn't live as long... Gets kind of ratty looking as it gets older and starts falling apart... They are pretty dangerous at that point..

View attachment 77080
I use a photo of this tree as my cover photo on Facebook. It's a nice-un.

bambam

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

View attachment 77080

Just saw this painting of the Angel Oak today in Savannah, GAimage.jpg

Reactions: Vin

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Way into the interior, Missouri to be exact, lives this massive burr oak, Q.macrocarpa, the burr oaks are in the same sub-genus of Quercus as the live oaks. But it is fully deciduous, and winter hardy to zone 3b. This tree had an easy life, from a distance it doesn't look like it is very old or very large, until you get closer and realize just how massive it is. I never found it on the state champion list, though it has a sign, with no details on it. Well over 125 feet tall. The ''kids'' are all college age and the guys are over 6 feet tall.

DSCN3293-small.jpg DSCN3294small.jpg DSCN3296small.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
audubonpark.jpg audubonpark2.jpg

Audubon Park Live oak NoLa.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Angel Oak gets the press, but the Middleton Oak in S.C. was, until recently,middletonoak.jpg the largest tree in the Eastern U.S. with a total wood volume of roughly 4,820 cubic feet

Top Bottom