Insult number one; Scots Pine update

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is an update to my scots pine that I posted in the summer. Sorry for the lack of a before pic, my old laptop died and I didn't moved all of the pictures on to my media server in time.

I had some private instruction from Todd up at Garden's Unlimited; I purchased the tree from them as well. This is my first pine, it's a bit on the cookie-cutter side; but I don't think I'll be trying to break out of the proverbial box until I understand what's in it. The left and back branches were cut back hard to induce back-budding. I'm going to repot in the spring; it'll get a simple rectangle training pot for now.

I still need to do the detail wiring, but that won't be done for a few more weeks (I won't have time until I start paternity leave, so the little dude needs to get moving!)

Forgive the terrible background; I usually don't get home in time to have decent light for a picture. I happened to be home a little early one day this week, and grabbed a quick picture. I'll see if I can get a better one today.

I'm open to suggestions, critiques, etc.

Christian

Attachments

• Scots_Cut_web.jpg
    Scots_Cut_web.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 141

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Video reply

Hello Christian... I like your tree...cookie cutter or not in a few years it could be very nice. I have created a short video critique.
John

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello Christian... I like your tree...cookie cutter or not in a few years it could be very nice. I have created a short video critique.
John

John -

Thanks for taking the time to do the video critique!

I am hoping to get some back-budding on the left branch. I bought the tree from local growers, and they've seen back-budding on branches just like this on other Scots pines. So I'm hopeful, but I'm not opposed to removing it in the future (I believe Rick also suggested removing it the first time I posted the tree).

If I were to rotate the tree in the direction you suggest, I would loose some of the trunk movement. but a slight rotation may help. The back branch's foliage is about as far from the trunk as the left branch (the pic doesn't really show it), so rotating and using that as a first branch would pose some of the same issues. Having said all that; I'll certainly keep it all in mind when it comes time to re-pot.

For the straight section of the trunk; I saw the exact same thing. I'm going to wait and see if I get any new growth up there this year, and if not, that section will likely see some raffia and heavy wire next year.

Thanks again for the video critique.

Christian

Top Bottom