Intelligent conversation of the Literati

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Heading to the correct direction, to my opinion @defra
Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow -> -> and then..... I would say : less branches ;)
However, something about the direction/placement of branches is bothering me... I need to look at the pictures more closely in order for me to locate the reason...

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Heading to the correct direction, to my opinion @defra
Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow -> -> and then..... I would say : less branches ;)
However, something about the direction/placement of branches is bothering me... I need to look at the pictures more closely in order for me to locate the reason...

Its allowed to grow and rest now for sure!
Please let me know if you find out what is bothering you if it helps i can take a few extra pics from different sides

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is there a height restriction on literati? How tall is too tall?

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Here’s a couple of juniper for consideration, both works in progress. I doubt there is much question of their legitimacy as literati.

A shimpaku. The two lower branches on the taller trunk are just one year suckers wired for direction. The others still need much work. The third trunk died after a too-aggressive repot, but it works ok.
A704F47F-02F4-4B6E-8A64-50D5829DF05E.jpeg

Next is a needle juniper, probably foemina but not sure and not concerned. Was given to me for free by a nursery a few years ago as it was nearly dead. Pads still need much love. I wish the base of the trunk was not so staunchly upright.
7AA85014-6C51-42BD-B0E4-BA873C9F0C34.jpeg

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Here’s a couple of juniper for consideration, both works in progress. I doubt there is much question of their legitimacy as literati.

A shimpaku. The two lower branches on the taller trunk are just one year suckers wired for direction. The others still need much work. The third trunk died after a too-aggressive repot, but it works ok.
View attachment 194231

Next is a needle juniper, probably foemina but not sure and not concerned. Was given to me for free by a nursery a few years ago as it was nearly dead. Pads still need much love. I wish the base of the trunk was not so staunchly upright.
View attachment 194232
The Shimpaku is very impressive. The deadwood may be a little too much but it does show well.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Here are my two for consideration.
The first has gone through its first styling and I am letting it recover the whole season from a spring pruning.
The second had its first repot in the spring and it will be left to recover and thrive until I can take it to a Bjorn workshop in Nashville.

Attachments

• 05052018-Spring pruning.jpg
    05052018-Spring pruning.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 2018 Literati re potted 5-5-2018.jpg
    2018 Literati re potted 5-5-2018.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 70

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Dorian,
I know ti may be too late, but I thought to continue trunk movemnt and also keep that foliage and relocate to add more character ( see photo ).
Hope you like my suggestion.
Leonard

Attachments

• 2017 Dorian Literoti design change 2018.jpg
    2017 Dorian Literoti design change 2018.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 83

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Well ... back at you. The first is potentially world-class. The second could also be very good perhaps - look forward to seeing where it goes. Where do you get your material?
You are going to laugh at me but I will tell anyway.
On a scouting trip to a bonsai nursery in Georgia, I found these two which had been laying on their sides on the ground for years with no attention other than watering ( but still thriving ). The one had such a small root ball that I was amazed at how much foliage it had been supporting ( which is why it is in a caulder to promote new root growth ). I brought them home and have been babying them since 2017.

Attachments

• 4-2017 first pruning B.jpg
    4-2017 first pruning B.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 76
  • July 2017 113.JPG
    July 2017 113.JPG
    468.8 KB · Views: 91

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Dorian,
I know ti may be too late, but I thought to continue trunk movemnt and also keep that foliage and relocate to add more character ( see photo ).
Hope you like my suggestion.
Leonard
Thanks Leonard.

Appreciate the feedback. Right now we are in the middle of winter so I cannot do anything now but I promise to look when Spring rolls round in Sept.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is another angle where the lower third comes towards the camera (ok IPad).......not the shadow but a little more interesting perhaps.
Here is the same tree after 2019’s growing season. Have only A4911329-3C7F-4616-8E1A-9B7F89940A50.jpegdone some minor wiring, it’s nice and healthy and having many branches it will allow many styling options in the future.
Cheers

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A couple of my Pinus Contorta (Contorta) Shore Pine, attempts at Bunjin/Literati. Only some minor wiring left on for a few more weeks before it cuts in too much.

Attachments

• FCE7F2AB-01E9-4DDC-A7E4-3923DC14626C.jpeg
    FCE7F2AB-01E9-4DDC-A7E4-3923DC14626C.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 19BB3622-4DB3-41A4-BD59-B4257C7A30CF.jpeg
    19BB3622-4DB3-41A4-BD59-B4257C7A30CF.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 44

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great thread. It is by far my favorite style followed by windswept. They both evoke deep emotion. They are both very difficult to do convincingly. Windswept is one of the most difficult to maintain, particularly in a deciduous tree.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is a candidate for Literati/ Bunjin style! I collected the tree in 2018, first picture shows condition in July 2019 and the subsequent two pictures show recovery with a bit of gentle wiring to begin. Will further work on style this winter! Pinus Contorta ( Shore Pine)IMG_0809.jpegIMG_0818.jpegIMG_0817.jpeg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a candidate for Literati/ Bunjin style! I collected the tree in 2018, first picture shows condition in July 2019 and the subsequent two pictures show recovery with a bit of gentle wiring to begin. Will further work on style this winter! Pinus Contorta ( Shore Pine)View attachment 305872View attachment 305873View attachment 305874
Wow, it will become a very beautiful literati.
Thanks for sharing
Thụ Thoại

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, it will become a very beautiful literati.
Thanks for sharing
Thụ Thoại
Thank you! The tree has very beautiful character and bark characteristics naturally! Will need to move slowly with care to do it justice! Very pleased with the recovery and foliage formation. New candles this spring are strong for Shore Pine and I feel the opportunity for back buds on the younger branches will allow the apex to fill in. It needs to move left a bit. Then after full recovery, thin out for more of a sparse image.
Wiring is difficult with the thick bark needing protection while the branch needing a gentle persuasion. Will be using a bit heavier wire and closer to a 60 degree wrap. Not after any sharp bends.

Top Bottom