Intelligent conversation of the Literati

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Piss off who? And what is super ignorant about it?

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I thought to encourage this juniper because of its very unusual nebari. Not to mention the natural hollowed out feature it possessed11072018 Literoti nebari closeup 2 .jpg11092018 Literoti deadwood closeup -c .jpg.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Why won't it stand up straight without the crutch? Is it because it isn't vertical enough at this time in that pot when it's horizontal? If that's why that's understandable. If on the other hand it's a just a little too whippy it can be stiffened up wiring it tightly into some tighter bends which would be even more bunjin-like. If you wire it soon you'll get a jump on it with the lignification that occurs in winter. Exactly when you wire depends upon your local weather, if we knew where you are, more specific times would be forthcoming. You might go to the upper right corner and click on your Icon and enter your location.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Why won't it stand up straight without the crutch? Is it because it isn't vertical enough at this time in that pot when it's horizontal? If that's why that's understandable. If on the other hand it's a just a little too whippy it can be stiffened up wiring it tightly into some tighter bends which would be even more bunjin-like. If you wire it soon you'll get a jump on it with the lignification that occurs in winter. Exactly when you wire depends upon your local weather, if we knew where you are, more specific times would be forthcoming. You might go to the upper right corner and click on your Icon and enter your location.
I'm afraid that ship has sailed as far as wiring the trunk. I have had some success with bending lesser branches at the top to bring the foliage down and compact it a bit. 2018 Literati  4-25-2019 (2).jpg11092018 Literoti deadwood closeup -b .jpgCascade after collection 4-2015.jpgThis is a nursery rescue of 5 years ago and it had been laying on it's side neglected more than 10 years before that and thriving in hardly more than a handful of soil. I had to trim the roots that had grown out of the pot over the years to get it home and acclimate to its new location( from Georgia to Michigan). After two years of recovery and thriving I put it in the new position and pot to recover and thrive again ( and now in bonsai soil ). Last spring represented the first styling and again last year and this for recovery. There is so much deadwood in the trunk that I have connected to one main branch at the top of the apex. In the spring of 21, I will make an exploratory look at the roots to see if there is enough new growth to restart in a new ( more appropriate ) pot.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update on this tall Shore Pine (Pinus Contorta Contorta).

Attachments

• 8623555A-1CF0-4658-A4CF-BCDC2892A5A8.jpeg
    8623555A-1CF0-4658-A4CF-BCDC2892A5A8.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom