Interesting choping method for formal upright

szelelaci

Seedling
Reaction score
I've found these pictures about a choping method to create formal upright trunk. It seems like a good idea, but there are no pictures about how it heals, or did the new leader survive the intervention at all. Have any of you ever applied the method and if you have, would you share your experiences and post pictures about the healing process, please?

http://bonsaisite.com/chopping.html

FB_IMG_1559674402656.jpg

FB_IMG_1559674408533.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It does make you view the Eastern Red Cedar with more respect. They are weeds here but I will probably try it sometime.
They are pretty much weeds here too, but I think they have great character with their mature foliage and flaky bark. They are just hard to get the branches to set into place, and they suffer from Cedar Apple Rust every year which is why you don't see them often.

I have a few I'm growing now...

rockm

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are pretty much weeds here too, but I think they have great character with their mature foliage and flaky bark. They are just hard to get the branches to set into place, and they suffer from Cedar Apple Rust every year which is why you don't see them often.

I have a few I'm growing now...
FWIW, cedar rust is about seventh on the list of why they're not used-- uniteresting trunks, wispy persistent juvenile foliage, not much nebari are the top. Vance's tree is probably the best one out there. It has been around 20 + years. No one has posted another decent one. Wonder why that is?
;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
FWIW, cedar rust is about seventh on the list of why they're not used-- uniteresting trunks, wispy persistent juvenile foliage, not much nebari are the top. Vance's tree is probably the best one out there. It has been around 20 + years. No one has posted another decent one. Wonder why that is?
;)
I agree with all of the above, and yes, the juvenile foliage is VERY persistent indeed. I'm going to keep growing mine and while it may never make a good bonsai, it's still a pretty cool looking little tree to fiddle around with.

The president of our Bonsai Society here in Richmond, VA has a great looking piece of material in her collection...

Forsoothe!

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here's a Gold Rush Dawn Redwood made in the same manner...250890
This photo was taken May 30th, the branches and pads are well positioned and filling out perfectly today. Next spring it will be perfect as long as Lady Winter cooperates...

Forsoothe!

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The chops are higher on the trunk, at a steep angle, and are rear-facing on the trees. Other than that, a chop is a chop.