Interesting Exhibit

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I happened to get up the National Arboretum in the last few days. They've got an interesting "how to" bonsai exhibit in the bonsai pavillion. It shows how bonsai are made, pruned, root pruned, etc. One section is on soil and includes Yuji Yoshimura's set of soil sieves--It's kind of like looking at Babe Ruth's bat in a museum...

Also, Guy Guidry's BC is back on exhibit. It has lost a couple of branches and some ramification, unfortunately. It did, however, look very healthy and seems to have recovered from what was very harsh winter.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to hear that Guy's BC is back. I'll have to try and make it there for the exhibit.

Reaction score
That soil sieve set was auctioned off in NY by Yuji and Bill Valavanis back in the early 90's. Among other things, I was high bidder for that set. It came with a lid that was signed by Yuji along with the name of his nursery. I loved owning the set and used it. When my dad passed away in 1994, I donated that set to the Arboretum for display purposes in his honor. I always wondered if they would ever use them in a display. I am VERY happy that they did. Although it would have been nice to continue owning them, it was my feeling that they were more suited to be displayed in honor of Yuji Yoshimura and his bonsai work in the US and Japan.
John

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
it was my feeling that they were more suited to be displayed in honor of Yuji Yoshimura and his bonsai work in the US and Japan.
John

Thanks John! Your story actually gives more significance to the fact that they are there now on display!

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Hi John,
Thank you for your thoughtful donation to the US National Arboretum! Several weeks ago our Bonsai
Club visited and saw the display.
Jack Sustic also arranged a Tokonoma display with a Crape Myrtle
grown by by Yuji's father and donated by Yuji. I returned to view the display twice during our visit.
Jack, Aaron his asst. and the volunteers are doing a great job.
We also toured the Kennett Collection and Sean Smiths. We were treated exceptionally well by our hosts during our Bonsai Adventure!

Mark

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John,

I can see why you'd want to own them. They're beautiful, look to be hand-made with old patina in the wood (or bamboo, couldn't tell which). The Arboretum is a better place with them since he is a seminal figure in US (especially East Coast) bonsai. :D.

The Arb has more than a few of these kinds of items around. They have a "pot room" with older and blindingly valuable pots that are not used. They also have more than a few stands and other "stuff" that isn't usually seen.

Mark,

That Yoshimura crape myrtle is still on display and in bloom. It's one that's not usually on exhibit.

Reaction score
Yes, you are right Rock.
I have an interest in bonsai history and collect old books, etc. but the lasting place for some of these items is in some sort of permanent collection so that many can appreciate and learn from them. I've since purchased a more modern set of sieves from Japan - still wood sided - but not the same.
john

Top Bottom