Interesting hardy hybrid Citrus, Citrange

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Citranges are hybrid Citrus produced by crossing any variety of sweet orange (Citrus sinensis) with the hardy trifoliate orange (Poncirus trifoliata) those hybrids are generally much hardier than sweet oranges. About a dozen varieties of Citrange exist (Carrizo is very common) all produce fruit that is highly acid, juicy, and value mainly for flavouring drinks. They are too acid and bitter for eating. Citranges are used for rootstocks for other kinds of Citrus fruits. They are generally vigorous and disease-resistant as well as hardy. They can survive temperatures as low of −18 °C (0 °F). Although the leaf size is a bit bigger than Poncirus it isnt very big at all compared with other Citrus and they grow faster than Poncirus so they are very interesting for bonsai. You guys that live in colder areas and like flowering and fruiting species should try them, I made several Citrange cuttings this spring (suckers from Citrus grafted on Citrange) I hope some root soon

citrus-carrizo-c-35.jpg
a3x9cn.jpg
GBPIX_photo_514521.jpg

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
i had dug a trifoliata out of the yard and tried airlayering it with fantastic results. unfortunately after separation, i tied down the tree by the new roots like the noob that i was, and a big storm came through and ripped the tree away from the roots.

7/2015
20150726_081502.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom