Interesting Jap Maple w/ Deadwood

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This guy's off the bench today for a closer look before it leafs out..

What would you do!?

Attachments

• IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0719.JPG
    IMG_0719.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 80
Reaction score
USDA Zone
here's my initial thought:

1: crank branch (labeled 1 ) down low and cut back to a new leader for taper

2: get rid of that long straight upright branch (the current leader and apex)

3: approach graft one of those whips to be the new leader

4: carve that dead wood

What ya think?

Attachments

• maple.jpg
    maple.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 80
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Outside the box, I can't draw this and I don't know how possible it is but my first thought was this: keeping it rooted where it is, break/peel the live wood off the dead and try to root the portion just past the living for. Going for the effect of a tree that was struck by lightning, split, fell over and rooted.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like your initial ideas, I definitely think that straight piece needs to come off where your number 2 is. What about layering off that branch, maybe where it divides into two trunks a few inches above the zip ties. I wonder if you do that, if the left main branch will have to be cut back too to balance out the energy? Either way, I like it!

What are your thoughts on carving the deadwood, how much are you thinking?

Last edited:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Try a change in planting angle (tipped quite radically to the right). The challenge is splitting that right angle into two 45's. You can then reevaluate your leader. I'd do this now and see if there's any shoots you can use to thread graft some key branches on - the window for work of this kind is quickly closing.

To experiment with different planting angles I use wedges or a really big container packed with towels/rags to support the pot. The only caveat, of course, is the potential impact on the nebari.

Last edited:

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
There is much written about deadwood on deciduous trees, but it mostly boils down to no. Unless you’re a rebel (... Dottie). It will rot sooner than later. I would remove it all. I also wouldn’t mess with the angle of the left branch/trunk.

This could be a very interesting tree! It has great taper and mature bark already. A great find!

Top Bottom