Interesting Japanese Boxwood (per nursery lol)

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Here’s the diagrams I can find so far. I know in art the golden ratio is very common even if not deliberately used. I will look up recommendations in rules later after work.

Attachments

• 0D987CB0-E49B-4D77-854A-1B3ECE1BC40C.jpeg
    0D987CB0-E49B-4D77-854A-1B3ECE1BC40C.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 24314B54-3469-4684-A24D-A631C0052727.jpeg
    24314B54-3469-4684-A24D-A631C0052727.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 18

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
this is what 99.9% of beginners say.
you can repot at anytime if you know what youre doing.
if you want it to recover as fast as possible and develop quickly i recommend leaving the core of the rootball intact, cutting around the edges, uncovering the nebari, taking a slice off the base with a saw and old scissors and filling in with good soil and not barerooting i do this with all nursery trees. im not saying to re pot now, but when you do.

the rootballs often look something like this when done.
this is why i can move my trees on very quickly and do so much on them.
When I say hard as a brick I mean I can’t get an ice puck in it. I experimented after I couldn’t get Growl and then my knife into it. Wound up scraping moss off the surface lol. It seems happy so far so no emergency just trying to figure out the best time to do it and the reductions.

So then next repot after a year or so you would do more work to get it headed towards more and more good soil?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
When I say hard as a brick I mean I can’t get an ice puck in it. I experimented after I couldn’t get Growl and then my knife into it. Wound up scraping moss off the surface lol. It seems happy so far so no emergency just trying to figure out the best time to do it and the reductions.

So then next repot after a year or so you would do more work to get it headed towards more and more good soil?

yes but sometimes theyre doing so well that i put off the nursery pad reduction for another year.
i used to bare root hornbeams and tease out every single thread of root hair and found they struggle to recover, crappy leaves all season, weak flushes.
so i changed my methods.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
yes but sometimes theyre doing so well that i put off the nursery pad reduction for another year.
i used to bare root hornbeams and tease out every single thread of root hair and found they struggle to recover, crappy leaves all season, weak flushes.
so i changed my methods.
This jives with what most people use for collection techniques as well from what I understand. Makes really good sense to me and when the time comes I’ll definitely do that for at least a couple passes on this tree especially.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this could be a really nice clump, but as I’m just starting to get to the point where styling is an option I’m asking opinions on where to cut. For scale the base is probably 7-8” it was found in the back abandoned corner of a nursery half dead. Lmao I’m thinking fairly high chop to take advantage of mature branching that is already in place but I haven’t dug into the roots yet to determine if they’ll have an effect on my front. It also may be total garbage that I shouldn’t chop and turn into a landscape plant for airlayers in the future! Lmao Please give me any feedback you think I deserve. 😜 The marked pics are where I’m hoping to have the chop. Hoping I’m starting to get a better grasp Of what a tree could be at this point! As soon as I saw it I saw the massive 7-8’ across oak clumps in my areawhere a squirrel cache sprouted and merged in my minds eye.
View attachment 323859View attachment 323860View attachment 323861View attachment 323862
Forget the tree, I want the dog.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What happened to Trent, he came in heavy with hopes and dreams, bags of enthusiasm. ive seen a few guys like this, extremely active in the spring n summer months but barely a peep in winter, does the desire wane that quickly or does life get in the way?

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
What happened to Trent, he came in heavy with hopes and dreams, bags of enthusiasm. ive seen a few guys like this, extremely active in the spring n summer months but barely a peep in winter, does the desire wane that quickly or does life get in the way?
Strictly life! I’m actually clearing out my yard with yardadori now lol. I have some old boxwood and Surinam cherries I’m trying to get out of the previous landscaping so I can get a fresh start. Also walking the woods looking for potential. Everything is so wet down here I can’t even get to some of the places I want to go collect at with out getting in 50° water!

Top Bottom