Interesting Little Moss/Fungus ID

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Found this gem yesterday during my afternoon run, I think its stunning. So vibrant, picture certainly does no justice. Don’t know if it’s a moss or fungus though? It’s approximately the size of a quarter. I’d like to Incorporate it into an accent planting somehow.

I would be amazed if someone could ID it for me.
12088FAD-42D4-4820-A7BE-C090D40F1590.jpeg

iHasaki

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 A
I think this certainly is a kind of Lichen. You could check if one of the 'branch' is hollow. This points to the British soldiers as mentioned above.

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found this gem yesterday during my afternoon run, I think its stunning. So vibrant, picture certainly does no justice. Don’t know if it’s a moss or fungus though? It’s approximately the size of a quarter. I’d like to Incorporate it into an accent planting somehow.

I would be amazed if someone could ID it for me.
View attachment 196205
Cladonia, a lichen

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have seen these before, can they actually be kept in a pot situation?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have seen these before, can they actually be kept in a pot situation?
It’s British soldiers I’m pretty confident now.

As far as “keeping” them I don’t know, but so far they look as good as the day I collected them and I also found online places selling them for terrariums. So I think they can be kept.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It’s British soldiers I’m pretty confident now.

As far as “keeping” them I don’t know, but so far they look as good as the day I collected them and I also found online places selling them for terrariums. So I think they can be kept.
I see them too out there in fairy garden land, wonder how often and how long the color lasts, and if there is a particular time of year they color up. Guess I'll have to research a bit on these.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Don’t know if it’s a moss or fungus though?

It is both - British Soldier Lichen. I have posted pictures of those here a long time ago.

I see them too out there in fairy garden land, wonder how often and how long the color lasts, and if there is a particular time of year they color up.

They grow good on decaying wood.
They water themselves with morning dew.
They require very little light...

If you do anything else to them they expire. Lichen is moss and fungus which feeds itself. Here they turn grey in the Winter and late Spring they green up a little and show throughout Summer if left out of light. In very dry places where there is little or no morning dew a VERY SMALL spray of distilled water will keep them happy.

They grow SLOW :)

Grimmy

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I tucked em in with my VFT and they’ve been looking good since. Don’t know what else to do with them.

Attachments

• EE19A1C6-22A2-4F04-B112-BC2F34211619.jpeg
    EE19A1C6-22A2-4F04-B112-BC2F34211619.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 9
  • 606DBA65-E901-4ABB-8B15-E1C17E323C46.jpeg
    606DBA65-E901-4ABB-8B15-E1C17E323C46.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 9

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Don’t know what else to do with them.

If you do anything else to them they expire. Lichen is moss and fungus which feeds itself. Here they turn grey in the Winter and late Spring they green up a little and show throughout Summer if left out of light. In very dry places where there is little or no morning dew a VERY SMALL spray of distilled water will keep them happy.

Yes you do :p

Grimmy

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It is both - British Soldier Lichen. I have posted pictures of those here a long time ago.

Grimmy

All true, except the plant part of a lichen is an Alga or cyanobacterium, not a moss. The fungus houses the algae in its tissue and provides them water. In return the algae produce food by photosynthesis.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All true, except the plant part of a lichen is an Alga or cyanobacterium, not a moss. The fungus houses the algae in its tissue and provides them water. In return the algae produce food by photosynthesis.

Well put it is actually a Alga and fungus creating Lichen - either way the care is as I stated :) I typed without reading in detail - oooooooooooops...

Grimmy

Top Bottom